Rear bumper alignment

minicooker

Reaction score
I am restoring my 72 CS and will be installing NOS rear bumpers. Currently trail fitting the rear bumpers and noticed that the ends are almost touching the rear fenders. Is this the correct alignment? Attached pictures

I know that there is a small synthetic strip at the ends of the bumpers. Anyone kind enough to share pictures of how the bumper ends meets the rear fenders?

Thanks, Eric

Attachments

• IMG_4597.JPG
    IMG_4597.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4600.JPG
    IMG_4600.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4599.JPG
    IMG_4599.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 146

inovermyhead

Reaction score
That's looking good Eric, the bumpers should be a fairly close fit, my rubber trim at the end of the bumper JUST touches the panel. If you are concerned you could always adjust the bumper by a couple of mil for clearance.

Cheers. John

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am restoring my 72 CS and will be installing NOS rear bumpers. Currently trail fitting the rear bumpers and noticed that the ends are almost touching the rear fenders. Is this the correct alignment? Attached pictures

I know that there is a small synthetic strip at the ends of the bumpers. Anyone kind enough to share pictures of how the bumper ends meets the rear fenders?

Thanks, Eric

8e73b1112f53fc4b293dbec2bbf78b9a.png
c09d8e82b5ffd8e3130c1f09abffac6a.png
fa003fab5a9fa477d3b5f57931a26508.png

Here are some pics I took at the BMW Museum for my own reference.

Thanks,

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minicooker

Reaction score
Thanks John and Sean for the references. How is the rubber strip installed? Just pops in or Sime adhesive was applied?

Cheers
Eric

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
rubber strip is tight fitting by itself. you can test fit the bumper with the center bolts a little loose, then adjust the ends to your liking, then carefully remove and tighten the center, repeat if necessary.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I used a rubber washer against the body followed by a couple of metal washers between the rubber washer and the bumper to stand the bumper off from the body. The rubber finishing strips are designed to press on, but one of my in the front worked its way loose and I suggest a tiny bit of gasket sealer to help hold it in place. Be advised, however, that it is difficult to install these with sealer without making a mess.