Rear Bilstein fit

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am about to fit rear Bilsteins to my 73 CSI and have a few questions, so looking for help from anyone who has done this please.

Top mount conical rubber, I guess that I fit this by some means, (any ideas how?) then slide in the old internal metal tube as new from W and N don't come with it!

Then fit both flat rubbers (that come with the strut) to either side of this top mount, with large flat washers either side? The problem is that my manual shows the top mount as totally different to my car, I basically have one large hole that is being used for the mount and three small ones that I guess are from a previous model or perhaps early suspension on this car? My car has completely separate springs and dampers, they are not combined like the front suspension, the manual shows them combined! There were two large washers but no flat rubber on the old set up. So do I fit these flat rubbers as well as the conical top mount? Any advice please?

Bump stops, front Bilsteins have instructions not to fit the bump stop as it is integral. The rear does not mention this, so assume that I refit them?

I expected this to be the easy part of he job!

Thanks C

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
De Q explained all

De Q has written a fab description on this, and now that I can actually use the forum a little better I can see how this can be done.
Once again, thanks De Q