Power steering fluid change

otter74

Reaction score
Posting here because it’s the most broadly suitable. I need to change the PS fluid and filter in my car - it’s dirty. I don’t really know what‘s in it (will remember to go out and get some on a paper towel tomorrow to see what it looks like). I looked into it and apparently either Pentosin 7.1 or some similar mineral oil or Dex/Merc ATF are both acceptable. I’d just as soon fill it with ATF since I can get it down the street in 10 minutes, but if I’m changing fluids I need to make extra sure all the old stuff is drained. I was going to unbolt the steering box and drain it from there - seems a little easier than sucking it out of the reservoir and refilling ~4 times. If I drain it like that, will I get it all out?

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cheap filter…

Attachments

• IMG_1906.png
    IMG_1906.png
    780.3 KB · Views: 21

otter74

Reaction score
Thanks, Don. Already got the filter. Probably paid more than that but hey, it’s still cheap :) I’m probably going to run out of time to get the car ready for the event I’m doing at the beginning of June due to the heater valve replacement which I am procrastinating on because it sucks so much (E12), so I’ll probably end up driving the 911 (pobre de mí) but at least I can knock off some of the other stuff.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We just use vise grips….

Shade tree mechanic stuff!