Possible to remove the speedometer without deposit the dashboard ?

remydedez

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to know if any of you would have a trick to remove the speedmeter without having to deposit the complete dashboard ? Because I have the odometer that no longer works and I would like to have it repaired. thanks;)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
i think it's doable, but i haven't done it myself. Dpends on how small your hands are i think.
The Speedo is held by two knurled nuts that can be turned with your fingers, if they haven't oxidized too much. Also the input cable is connected of course ; it has a knurled ring with internal thread that connects to a male thread on the back of the speedo.

do a search on google images and you'll likely see some images pop up that will gie you an idea.

other will likely chime in with more accurate tips - i vaguely remember that also the complete cluster can be loosened, allowing you to slide the entire wood panel with the 4 gauges forward.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done this. Disconnect the speedo cable. Remove the 2 knurled nuts, if tight a leather golf glove helps if only using one finger to reach and turn them. Once loose, rotate the speedometer 180 degrees or so and you will be able to work it down through the frame and wires. It takes time and patience, and some mojo.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I haven't done this, but a friend tells me you can first remove the clock, then the tachometer, then the speedo.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done it. Bring me to France for a week-end and voila!

Honolulu

Reaction score
No need to disturb the dash, the work is all within the instrument cluster wood surround. Take out the clock first.

Remove the lower dashboard panel, reach up from below and unscrew two knurled nuts, rotate clock about 1/8 turn (it will only rotate one way) and remove to the interior of the car. Do not remove into the dash. You may find that removing the steering wheel makes this easier since it gets in the way.

Once the clock is out, the speedo is more accessible through the clock hole. Draw a diagram of the wires connecting to the speedo head, then you can reinstall once and it will be correct.

I had a spare instrument cluster to practice on, so it was not difficult once I decided to do it. There are photos posted and if you use the Search function you should find them. This topic has been addressed several times.