Oil Splash

61porsche

Reaction score
Opinions welcome- How much oil splash in the M30 head is normal?

With the cover off the head, splash from the sprayer bar goes everywhere, i.e. outside the head. Which also means it's impossible to observe valve action while running. The bar is tight. Oil pressure obviously good.

Particularly, the front area near the first/ front cam bearing seems much more than the others. So, it's got me wondering about clearances........

bmw art car

Reaction score
the valve cover is designed in a way to distribute oil all over the valve cover area.
so it is going to go everywhere with the cover gone. there is no way of running the car without the covers on.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
easier to pull the main relay and watch the engine crank at 400 rpm - no fuel and minimal oil pressure.
Are you looking for a stuck valve or hunting down a bad rocker arm/ pad?...

61porsche

Reaction score
Cam gear oil feed location or spray bar?

Is it normal for more oil on the first cam journal than other areas.

It's easy enough to rotate an eccentric up to check the arms which is probably the most common ailment.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
recently I had my car in the shop to see if my valve train was causing my annoying squeaking noise. We took the valve cover off and in preparation for the ensuing mayhem of oil we covered the entire car with towels. We had the motor running for about a minute while we stethescoped and oil was flying everywhere! I think more oil comes off the front because the cam gear and chain flings oil 15 feet in the air. That may be why more is in front than the rear of the head. We were covered in oil after this experiment, which fortunately turned up no unusual noise.

61porsche

Reaction score
Oh well.. there's always tomorrow!

Darn..... I was really looking for an excuse to pull the head, port, Shrick, etc which of course means pulling the motor... 3.5...... while I'm in there.

I'll quit worrying over excess clearance at the cam bearings on number 1... for today; seems normal to have a bunch of oil flying around while I'm passing newer BMWs on I-10 or 45!

Thanks guys.