New Owner and Member - E9 2800 CS

Nakster

Reaction score
Hi All, Great to meet everyone and looking forward to diving into the world of the e9. Mine is a 1970 5 Speed 2800 CS in Agave. It was sold on BAT in Oct and I picked it up from that buyer a month ago. It was purchased in San Diego and has spent its entire life in So Cal. It's been through a restoration in the early 2000's and the 2.8L M30 was replaced with a 3.5L M30. I'm still assessing what I should do first (very much open to suggestions). Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_8100.jpg
    IMG_8100.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 35

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh - still, either way - nice car. :)
FYI - You might want to download all the pics from the BaT listing just to have as a reference. I did that for when I bought my car and it has come in handy from time to time.
(not BaT, but still.... just a thought)
Welcome to the insanity. LOL

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase. Love the color and it appears to be in very nice shape.

There is a lot of great information here and of course knowledgeable owners who have done most of what you might find the need to work on.

A couple of places here might be helpful:
DIY Information: Search works fairly well, and there is a central repository here for DIY projects.
Sources for parts, equipment and various material: Here

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nakster - congratulations and welcome to the madness.

What to do first - Rob Seigel, in his Hack Mechanic book, did a chapter on making an old car reliable. I would consider getting a copy of Rob's book and following his plan. By way of example, he recommends changing all the belts and hoses so that you know they are good. Change all the fluids. Test the alternator. Check the battery code and if its more than four years old just buy a new one. Same with the tires (although maybe you can push those a little longer.) Replace all the rubber suspension bushings, and check all the boots on the ball joints and the half shaft seals. If you plan to keep the car, having all of this reset at a single point in time both makes your car more reliable and gives you a baseline for future repairs.

I would also put leather conditioning high on the list. Not something we think about very often, but its far better to keep it supple. Once it cracks or splits its much harder to fix.

Another suggestion is if you find the bottom of your engine or the back of your transmission are covered with oil, clean those areas thoroughly and then track down the source of the leaks.

All of this can be done while you drive. And if you get into a jam, raise your hand and somebody here will help.

Nakster

Reaction score
Nakster - congratulations and welcome to the madness.

What to do first - Rob Seigel, in his Hack Mechanic book, did a chapter on making an old car reliable. I would consider getting a copy of Rob's book and following his plan. By way of example, he recommends changing all the belts and hoses so that you know they are good. Change all the fluids. Test the alternator. Check the battery code and if its more than four years old just buy a new one. Same with the tires (although maybe you can push those a little longer.) Replace all the rubber suspension bushings, and check all the boots on the ball joints and the half shaft seals. If you plan to keep the car, having all of this reset at a single point in time both makes your car more reliable and gives you a baseline for future repairs.

I would also put leather conditioning high on the list. Not something we think about very often, but its far better to keep it supple. Once it cracks or splits its much harder to fix.

Another suggestion is if you find the bottom of your engine or the back of your transmission are covered with oil, clean those areas thoroughly and then track down the source of the leaks.

All of this can be done while you drive. And if you get into a jam, raise your hand and somebody here will help.
Thanks Chris! Book ordered and thanks for the great advise and first steps.