New '72 Bavaria owner

mosearch

Reaction score
As a new owner; there is a lot I don't know...so go easy if some questions are just naive...
For instance, I have figured out how to use Realoem "classic"...but I still don't know how to define the date of manufacture for my VIN 3132571.
Still trying to locate the paint code, or interior color code...or even discover IF these earlier models had those codes. I'd be grateful to know more about all that.
I am trying to reach out to bmwgroup.com group archive...no response just yet.
And I'll continue to search the forum before asking specific questions; but may still cover well-plowed ground now and then...

Feels like it will be a great car; once I get it all renovated and running with the precision appropriate to a true Beemer.
IMG_2698.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. The Archive will reply with build date and color. Only later post 74 cars can sometimes be looked up in RealOEM as BMWNA was created in 1975.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It's hard to tell from the shadows but from the pictures it looks to me to be Agave Green? Do a thorough search in the trunk, engine bay, and around the door jams and see if you see signs of a re-spray. There may be a sticker in your engine bay that says Agave. That doesn't mean much, but see if it's there. Unless it's more of a blue, again, hard to tell, looks like a darker green BMW Agave. As far as interior color code, BMW Classic does not provide that. They will verify original exterior color. Send away for a Certificate of Authenticity. There are a couple of forum members with Agave e3's that are very nice.

More pics would be cool. I used to live in Larkspur and go to Mill Valley often, great place. I barely remember some late nights at the 2:00am Club (the Deuce). Is that still there? Enjoy the car.

mosearch

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's some form of blue (not green). I'll take more photos once the weather improves...and post then.
That fine dive bar known as the Deuce is still there and (thank God) has changed very little. Everything else around Mew Vowhey has gone up-scale in a huge way; so we are all very much hoping the humble 2AM club can simply remain as-is.
348s.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then it's either Nachtblau or Baikal. Can't see enough to to really determine. Maybe someone else that's not colorblind can chime in. LOL. Pretty stock car? Minimal rust? No accidents? If yes to all your already way ahead.

viphoto

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I too lived in Larkspur part way up Madrone Canyon and for a while in Mill Valley. Unless they removed it or painted over it there should be a silver sticker on the drivers door just below the striker with the production date on it. On my coupe the color code and interior code were on the drivers side A-piller just below the top door hinge. Enjoy your new car...I miss the tree lined roads up there.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny I was up Madrone as well 3/4's of the way up appox on the right. All the redwood trees kept it pretty damp. Interesting about the interior color code sticker. See you learn something new everyday hree. Mine must have been long gone, I just looked again and nothing there. Too bad they didn't rivet in a metal plate with the number stamped. I never thought much about what the original color was so didn't really think about that. It was obvious it was black. I wonder why they don't include that on the COA? Anyhow...good to know, I will start looking for those stickers on other cars.

mosearch

Reaction score
Got the reply from bmwgroup; It is Baikal Metallic; August 1972 production; and likely the K32/31 interior vinyl package. They were kind enough to add the Farben und Polster color chart for that era, which may be of interest to some of us (.pdf attached). It does not quite do justice to the metallic colors (Baikal looks darker here than in real life)...but it's a decent general guide.

Attachments

• Farbkarte_Oktober_1972.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got the reply from bmwgroup; It is Baikal Metallic; August 1972 production; and likely the K32/31 interior vinyl package. They were kind enough to add the Farben und Polster color chart for that era, which may be of interested to some of us (.pdf attached). It does not quite do justice to the metallic colors (Baikal looks darker here than in real life)...but it's a decent general guide.

That PDF of interior and exterior colors is awesome thanks! I guess I have seen the interior color chart and codes now that I see this, but it has been a long time. I saved to my computer so thank you.

goodkarmech

Reaction score
Hello, and congrats on your car. I am local to you in Central Marin County.
I have worked on these cars off and on for years and used to own a 72 E9
If you have any questions or need some advice on the car I'm happy to try and help.
Al

johnl

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the car. Over the past 43 years we've owned several BMWs starting with a '72 Bavaria, a couple of 7 series, a couple of E39s with one being an M5 and other assorted examples. Our current '72 Bavaria gives me more enjoyment than all of the others. I think this is due to the simplicity of the car over the later offerings.

mosearch

Reaction score
Johnl; I have an E39 528i as well. Love it too; but I am enjoying the simpleness of this E3.

goodkarmech; thanks for your offer; i'll keep it in mind if I get overwhelmed. So far I am finding the E3 quite well within my own mechanical comfort range.