My beef with some forum members

jmackro

Reaction score
Autowerks,...Research, fitment, and ancillary parts acquisition is the burden of the buyer.

Yes, that has been my thinking in reading this thread. It looks like Autowerks' old transmission was a Borg Warner (say) and the one he was sent was a ZF (say - I know little about e9 automatic transmissions, but I do know that they were made by several different companies). So when you need a transmission, you need to say "Borg Warner automatic transmission needed" and not expect the seller to be clairvoyant.

It is unfortunate that this mix-up happened with a part that is so expensive to ship back and forth.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, that has been my thinking in reading this thread. It looks like Autowerks' old transmission was a Borg Warner (say) and the one he was sent was a ZF (say - I know little about e9 automatic transmissions, but I do know that they were made by several different companies). So when you need a transmission, you need to say "Borg Warner automatic transmission needed" and not expect the seller to be clairvoyant.

It is unfortunate that this mix-up happened with a part that is so expensive to ship back and forth.

That is exactly the issue. "Automatic Transmission" did not quite define the part that was needed for a bolt-in installation.
I did go through that, bought the wrong transmission in 2005 for $500, realized the conversion challenges made the 5-speed conversion a better route. Did that and eventually passed the $500 tranny to another member for maybe 400 or 500 I forget, and moved on like Don says with a smile.

Not every time that something goes wrong there is a person to blame...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for keeping it civil. I have a little different perspective since I'm in the used parts business, we sell over $100k a month on ebay and that's just a portion of our sales. We see it all and we're no longer surprises by anything. In this case, the first thing I thought of is why there weren't any photos shared before the purchase? The seller isn't out very much and is thinking they're doing someone a favor of sorts but the buyer has to pony up a fair amount because of shipping. The buyer has the most at risk so why didn't you ask for photos before sending the money? Imagine selling stuff on eBay without photos. ?? If you step back and use logic you can see where this fell apart.

Joe, in my opinion, there are too many variables involved with 40 year old vehicles and their parts. The way I think it should've been handled is to post what happened on this forum as a "Oh crap, the transmission isn't what I thought it was" and ask for help FROM EVERYONE finding the parts you need and not implying that Chris needs to make it right. Chances are the folks here have stuff laying around that won't cost you much to get.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. I have a CSA. If I was looking for a replacement, used, auto box, I would definitely seek out the BW65 that is presently in my car. If a ZF was available for $40. well I would want to know what I would need to make this adaptation. They both work fine when attached to the E9 chassis. But you do need the complementary bits to ensure proper fitment. As others have pointed out, there was a need for more specifics before this deal ever went down. And, I might add......"no need for personal rancour" Terry Thomas to Milton Berle, "It's A Mad Mad Mad World ", 1963. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I have a CSA. If I was looking for a replacement, used, auto box, I would definitely seek out the BW65 that is presently in my car. If a ZF was available for $40. well I would want to know what I would need to make this adaptation. They both work fine when attached to the E9 chassis. But you do need the complementary bits to ensure proper fitment. As others have pointed out, there was a need for more specifics before this deal ever went down. And, I might add......"no need for personal rancour" Terry Thomas to Milton Berle, "It's A Mad Mad Mad World ", 1963. :)
Dang nailed it. Photos should be REQUIRED for even the smallest, least expensive purchase. Harry the Koopman was interested in chrome parts that go on the sides of the front seats near the adjustment wheel. Because we were not sure we were talking about the same part I snapped some pics and sent them off. Problem solved.

And remember, we are a flawed species. Really flawed. We have a difficult time communicating clearly and concisely. We anger too easily, act impetuously,
and can't understand why the other member of our flawed species is acting the way they are when we are so sane, civilized and rational. And they are so insane, uncivilized and irrational.
This leads to serious misunderstandings. With sometimes dire consequences. I am amazed we have gotten as far as we have without destroying the planet.

Whoops, we may be on the verge of doing that too.

Steve

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gentlemen you are all correct, my lack of knowledge about different trannys, I should have asked for a pic at lease or should have researched more!
My problem was the fact that my Emails were not answered and that alone fueled this whole situation!
I am sure I will find the parts to fix my car and put it back on the road again. Thanks for all your comments, good, bad and ugly!

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I can put together,
1- the cooler line to radiator has to be replaced completely
2- The dip stick and the housing
3- the electric shifter indicator has to be replaced and the wiring corrected to wo

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have all the parts you need- if you pay for shipping and it will takes a couple of weeks to have pulled from my donor car.

I would suggest a small donation in Mr. Ohmess' name to the site will hurry along the process.

Again- free to good home, you pay shipping and a small good will gesture to the board.

Pm if interested

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's my Don. Best mechanic I've ever had and Blue Belle's heart and lung transplant doctor...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
[QUOTE="sfdon, post: 184759,]

Again- free to good home, you pay shipping and a small good will gesture to the board.

Pm if interested[/QUOTE]

No need for a donation. Don, your valuable time spent to make this right is invaluable to the forum. Thank you sir!

Reactions: Dlc

restart

Reaction score
IMG_4945.JPG IMG_5184.JPG IMG_5198.JPG IMG_5206.JPG Define junk. :)
Some recent threads seemed relevant.... the value of attaching a nominal value to otherwise free items, valuation of stuff and huge variances in shipping costs. Buying and selling parts can be a tricky business.