My beef with some forum members

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know we talk about how good and helpful people on this forum are for the most part but, This forum consist of two different type people.
1- True E9 enthusiast that go out of their way to help a fella e9 owner.
2- The people that are on this forum to make money off their left over crap.
I will tell you about a tranny I bought from type 2 people without really investigating and was told it is the same part by seller, where a lot of other parts has to be changed for tranny to work!
Please if you want to buy a part on e9 forum make sure the part is interchangeable before you buy and check the pics, THERE ARE SHARKS SWIMMING!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What tranny did you buy and what did you think it was for?

Did you buy and electronic speedo Getrag 265?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
No car forum is complete without drama I suppose. Yeah, I sold a known working tranny for $65 to a guy who advertised he needed one.

Short version: Guy says he needs a tranny. Someone suggests a rebuild; sfdon jumps in and says rebuilds are as much of a gamble as used, and that he gets trannys for $400. I post that I have a working tranny pulled from my car (which is not the same car as his car) packed and ready to go.

Buyer starts a conversation: he is interested, how much for shipping. I arrange shipment, buyer offers me $40 for the tranny. I should have walked away at that point, but... Buyer comes up to $65; indicates he needs other stuff. I indicate I have everything needed except the console; buyer says he doesn't need that stuff, but throw in whatever I want to give away for free. So, I sold the tranny for $65.

Now it turns out they buyer does need much of what I previously suggest I would sell with the tranny. And he is not offering to buy the stuff he needs, he is merely saying that it is a problem that he doesn't have it. He needs it. And he is unhappy I haven't promptly replied to him.

How much do you suppose he will be willing to pay for the other stuff if his first offer on the tranny was $40?

Here is the longer version (Tranny wanted thread and our communications):

From the For Sale/Wanted Forum

WTB Automatic Transmission

autowerks

like to buy an automatic transmission if anybody has a good working one, thanks Joe

WISE9UY

Message Sent

Mike Pelly

I have one in so cal- from a euro cs.

autowerks

Hi Mike, is it in good condition, mine vibrates between 20-30 and 40-55 MPH right after it shifts

teahead

Wouldn't it be less risky to just rebuild the one you got?

Ohmess

I have one, packaged and ready to go. It was working fine when I removed it from my car to change to a 5 speed. The flywheel you inquired about is actually packed up with the tranny right now.

autowerks

I was thinking2 to get a used one and rebuild the one I have!

sfdon

Cost to rebuild=$2000.00
Cost for 5 used trannys =$2000.00

I've seen rebuilt ones go all of 2000 miles before going bad. I have also seen rebuilt ones spew atf out the top vent hole and out the rear seal the same day they Right onto the exhaust....

Mike Pelly

If Ohmess has one packed and ready to go and he knows it to be in good shape, buy his. Mine is in my parts car- the engine was pulled several years ago and the tranny is still in the car, so access is easy, but not worth the hassle unless you are really desperate.

Ohmess

Thanks Mike - I thought I had a buyer previously, but he backed out of the deal after I packaged it all up.

autowerks

Thanks Mike!

From the Discussion

Ohmess

Hi autowerks -- Following up on your parts posts, I have a tranny and the flywheel you are seeking packaged and ready to ship. I pulled them from my car -- a California, Texas car with 125,000 on it -- because I wanted a 5 speed. I thought I had a buyer for the tranny, which is why I packaged it up, but he backed out over the shipping costs. I also contacted the tranny shop here in town and have identified a shipper who regularly ships transmissions.

You can have the tranny and flywheel and whatever else I have in the box for $150 plus shipping. So, if you are serious, this would be an easy transaction.

autowerks

Hi, I am interested, let me know the shipping cost to Mckinney, Texas 75069. Thanks Joe

[After Separate Flywheel Discussion]:

autowerks

Hi Chris, I decided to go with your transmission, please let me know the shipping for your transmission and flywheel to Mckinney Texas 75069? Thanks Joe

Ohmess

Hi Joe -- I spoke to the guys here locally at County Transmission; they use R&L Carriers for transmission shipping. RL quoted me $375, which is $225 shipping, plus additional residential charges on both ends of $75 each. I assumed your delivery would be a residence, and my pickup is a residence too. I would like to get this baby out of my basement, and this is more than I expected, so how about $500 total (with $375 going to the shipper)?

autowerks

Hi Chris -- I can buy a transmission locally for $300 and flywheel from you for about $100 with shipping, that puts me at $400.00. I know you want to get rid of it and I like to buy it if it makes sense. I can spend the $400 with you, I have a transmission and flywheel and you get rid of the transmission! let me know what you think? Thanks Joe

autowerks

Sorry, I will give you a business address to ship it to as well!

autowerks

Hi Ohmess,

I apologize if you did not like my offer, it was just an suggestion, it is not a problem if you wish not to sell you tranny. Are you willing to sell your flywheel? If so please let me know, Thanks Joe

Ohmess

Hi Joe - no. I really would prefer to sell the entire package to you. The price leaves me with $40 for the tranny, and I spent $28 on packing material, so yeah, I thought that was a little low. But I did indicate I wanted to get rid of it and if I sell the flywheel separately I need to unpack it from the tranny, find packing material, etc. And part of this hobby is helping others keep these babies on the road.

So, let's just do this. Send me the business address and a contact phone number, paypal the money to [email protected], and I will arrange shipping once the money gets here.

autowerks

Hi Chris, you are very kind, please send me your mailing address and I will send you a cashiers check for $425.00 ! When the check clears your bank then send me the transmission, I'll give you a mailing address, Thanks again Joe

Ohmess

Mailing address: [omitted]

autowerks

I'll send the money tomorrow, the shipping address is

Expert Towing
301 E. Erwin Ave.
Mckinney Texas 75069

My Cell number is : [omitted]

autowerks

Hi Chris, you should get your money Thursday, if not I have a tracking number, Thanks Joe

Ohmess

Thanks Joe. I will watch for it.

autowerks

Hi, did your money arrive? Joe

Ohmess

Hi Joe -- Yes, the money arrived and I deposited it yesterday. Thanks for following up. I will let you know when my bank informs me that the check has cleared.

Ohmess

Hi Joe -- money has cleared! I am out of town for a few days, but will arrange shipping when I return home next week. Sorry about the delay because of this.

I will send to you the info once they pick up the tranny. Do you want to send to me your email in case they have an email notification system for the shipment?

autowerks

Hi Chris,

No problem next week is fine, was wondering if you have an Automatic Trans Driveshaft? please Let me know thanks Joe

Ohmess

Hi Joe - well, yes but I had it modified and it is in my car.

Ohmess

Hi Joe - it sounds like you need everything. If so, I have some other stuff you may need, including:

1) The transmission indicator switch which mounts on the side of the transmission and sends the signals to the indicator lights
2) The transmission light tree that mounts on the dash just above the steering column and indicates what gear you are in (with the wiring harness to the indicator switch)
3) The linkage that operates the downshift/kick down when you floor it
4) The transmission mounting bracket that holds the tranny in the car
5) The torque converter that installs in between the flywheel and transmission
6) The shift lever, carrier and shift gate

Let me know if you need any on this stuff. I don't have the shift surround; I modified it for my manual shifter.

autowerks

Thanks, I have most of the stuff, my drive shaft vibrates a bit, the reason I was asking. I'll take what ever you want to get rid of though. Thank you Joe

Ohmess

Hi Joe -- R+L Carriers picked up the tranny today and it is on its way to you.

autowerks

Thank you Chris, Let you know when I get it! Joe

autowerks

Hi Chris the tranny got here a couple of days ago, have not looked at it but thank you for everything! Joe

autowerks

Hi Chris, The tranny is completely different, a lot of things has to be replaced for it to fit! Dip stick, hoses from transmission to radiator, shift linkage, the electrical box and the converter. Please let me know, Thanks Joe

Ohmess

I know that transmission will work in your car, it worked in mine.

autowerks

Yes you are right, but it will need all the stuff I mentioned to make it work! Thanks Joe

autowerks

Hi Chris, did you get my Email that I would need parts to make this tranny work on my car, otherwise it is worthless to me. Let me know what we can do? Thanks Joe

autowerks

Chris, This is not a good way to do business specially with people you claim to help! You truly are not what you represent yourself to be! Thanks for nothing! Joe

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

I know you to be be extremely honest and a true gentleman, I'm sorry you had to go through this. You have helped many on this Forum. It must have been a difficult decision to post this communication but I think you did the right thing. You still have my vote of confidence!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done business both ways with Chris, and I CERTAINLY trust him implicitly.

I too sold something recently to someone who now says it doesn't fit their car. That person didn't check in advance. I offered to refund all that he paid except for ~ half of my shipping costs if he wants to return it. He hasn't made up his mind yet. I felt the 'refund' with a VERY small sharing of my shipping was fair. We are here as friends and to be helpful (in my case, mostly GET help. I would never have been able to maintain and improve my 6 Porsche 928's that I bought over a 15 year period of time WITHOUT a forum such as this).

In my opinion, members like Chris who offer assistance/advice, and go out of their way to help others are priceless.

Gary Knox

Last edited:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Runnig my own Forum in a completly differnt area for over 12 years now I for sure had my share of idiots to deal with. In all cases it immediatly becomes clear, for halfway intelligent people, who the good guy is and who the idiot. This is just one more story underlining this.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Autowerks, to me a working trnsmission is just that - the transmission, not a turn key setup to include ancillary parts which he offered to you but you declined. When I bought a tranny from a member, I got a tranny, not the bell housing, slave cylinder, hoses, clutch etc which appears to be the equivalent to what you are asking for. To me it's clear when asking for a working transmission you don't get all the other conversion parts with it. If you were looking for "everything needed for an automatic transmission install" that's different. Your definition of "making it work" is different than buying a working transmission, and I think most would agree.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please if you want to buy a part on e9 forum make sure the part is interchangeable before you buy and check the pics

Yes, isn't that the case wherever you buy parts for your, almost, 50 year old classic car? Do you mean that Chris should have traveled over to your place, crawled under your car, checked that everything is interchangeable, and then sell it for $40...?

It's not fun to buy or order the wrong parts, I've done it, most of us has probably done it at some point, but it's your own responibility and your own fault, no need to start blaming the seller for it.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've known Chris Ohmes for years, he's one of the good guys, a true enthusiast. From reading the transcript of the deal, sounds like Chris sold his packed up transmission and flywheel for $75. Which is a an amazing deal. It should be a win win for both parties.

I have also been blamed for a buyer not doing their do diligence and I was NOT the seller.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the others here have vouched for Chris but I will add my own perspective on top given my unique role as his Monterey roommate last year. I've known Chris for several years now and we enjoy talking about our favorite common interest, of course, our E9s which coincidentally share a "belle" in their names: Blue Belle and Annabell, respectively. There are not many more decent guys than him who truly stive to do the right thing all the time and enjoy what we have and those around him -- friends, family, etc. We've travelled now to several events together on the east coast with our wives and have enjoyed each and every one of them, down to the Viriginia equivalent of cars and coffee. Plus he is a wicked mechanic that would make Sfdon proud. I have to admit that his self initiated repair exploits sometimes cause the hair on my neck to stand up, but he seems to prevail at each and every one of them including installing and then tuning triple carbs himself, which is my automotive equivalent of sending an astronaut to Mars.

No, Chris is one of the very good ones and a dear friend. We are readying our cars for Vintage this May, Monterey again in August and -- I'm sure -- many adventures after that. I'm hoping at one of these gatherings he restarts his previous other previous talent at beer making and allows us to taste one of his brews. Shown below: one of our many "planning meetings" to prep for 2016 Monterey event. That's Doug Dolan with us next to me and Chris on the opposite side for those who don't know him.
E9 lunch.JPG

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gentlemen the issue is not the money, but please let me add my version! I paid him what he asked. instead of $500 I send him $425 plus a business address that deducted $75 from shipping company cost(the asking price).
The tranny arrives, it is not the same in a way that, lines to radiator, dip stick and trans gear indicator on the tranny are different, however none of these items are with the transmission!
Trany is sent to me without a converter and all the items I mentioned, so how am I suppose to use it? I Email him and no reply I got from him! I would think you guys are ok with that?
Chris could be the nicest guy as you all say but not answering Email and trying to ignore an issue without dealing with it, my frustration is being told something will work and it does not and not complete!
I will post the pics from transmissions tomorrow for you guys to see the difference!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
For one thing, after all the time spent and token dollars involved, I would label Chris as Type-1. :)

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks boys for the nice comments towards me.
The tranny on jack stand is mine and the one I got from Chris is on the right, if these are the same then you boys are right with your comments, otherwise............

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks different, but didn't Chris offer to give you the other stuff to you to make it work?

And don't you require pictures before you buy anything over the Internet?

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
There was an unfortunate negative characterization in the original post. It is hard to get beyond that. However Autowerks conclusion is of course right: "Please if you want to buy a part on e9 forum make sure the part is interchangeable before you buy and check the pics". And I'd add that it is not always easy for the best intentioned non-professional buyers OR sellers to make that determination.

Maybe this forum could support an approach where the buyer and seller agree to a purchase with a contingency. Namely that the buyer is allowed to post a request for confirmation to the forum asking if the item fits it's intended use.

Maybe I'll try this approach next time I'm looking at something that looks right, but...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Autowerks,

I'm sorry that you feel wronged, but I'm still not quite sure what you were expecting. Research, fitment, and ancillary parts acquisition is the burden of the buyer. This is especially true for drivetrain projects. E9's have multiple engines, transmissions and oem upgrade options.

I'm new to all of this e9 stuff and have made several poor parts purchases from people that I still consider to be a friend. The only time I screw up is when I'm in a hurry, lazy, or passionate about something I want.

Please if you want to buy a part on e9 forum make sure the part is interchangeable before you buy and check the pics, THERE ARE SHARKS SWIMMING!

Your recommendation is key. However, there are no sharks in these waters. I have been frequenting message forums for 20 years and this is the most respectable group that I have encountered.