Luigi CSL @ Portland Historics- Video

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just posted the video from the Portland Historics. We were still fighting the brake issue that plagued us in Sonoma. Jim & Terry tried a couple of things which helped, but did not fix it permanently. They have a plan to re-route one of the brake lines away from heat sources before Monterey.

It rained on Sunday so I was not able to run the flag race. Still, Saturday had plenty of thrills. Here's the video link:

http://youtu.be/rzBhcxkZpL4

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the sheer terror of WTF brakes!! Please describe what is happening. None? Erratic? Grabbing?

Pretty impressive that a 40 +/- year old car with suspect brakes does so well against 90"s (?) vintage NASCAR. Says a lot about your level of restoration as well as your driving (great recoveries throughout).

DC

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
DC,

The line to the right front goes right over the collector in the exhaust. We are theorizing that there is enough heat to boil the fluid. If we bleed the brakes they are fine for a few laps, but then they grab at the front on the left side, and finally no fronts at all.

The first time it happened was at Sonoma going into Turn 11. Boy that tire wall comes at you in a hurry. I was able to spin the car into the paved section inside of 11, barely missing the stacks of NASCAR tire barriers.

It took me a while to start feeling what was happening through the pedal. I start with a hard pedal, and then it starts to progressively get soft. Finally it goes to the floor. It does respond to being pumped up, and that was what allowed me to finish both races at PDX.

At first Jim tried higher temp fluid, then shielding the line. Now he has re-routed the line around the front of the car to the right front caliper, away from all heat sources.

Test will be this weekend during the Pre-Reunion races at Laguna. Stay tuned.