Lowering the e9

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
After posting in the test forum i got a few request to post a better pic.

Lowering your Coupe, there are a few ways.

You can get Carl's spring - most guys do... they are fine depending on what batch you got.
Hardy & Beck has a nice setup also.

I did a coil over in the front and used an 8" Hypercoil for the rear. Made my own spring pad.

BBS RS
front 005 - 16 x 7 with 1" wider lip = 16 x 8 ... 215/40/16
rear 007 - 16 x 8 with 2" wider lip = 16 x 10 ... 225/45/16

enjoy

Sean Casey has a nice 02 turbo

Very clean Black Beauty

DaSurfa

Reaction score
Hey BarryG, what coilovers did you use in the fronts?
I wished someone would just have the fronts available.
I'm fine with the way the rear sits on my E9 but the front just needs to go down just a bit.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went with http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=665/CA=281
for my Camber plates.
You can go with Koni or Bilstein's shocks you just need to tell them when you order. I use Koni 2 way adjustable.

The struts i did myself saving time and Coin. They need to be shorted depending on the shock you use. I have a extra set of struts if anyone want to give this a try. Just give me your in return.
Eibach 2.5 springs come in many heights and spring rates.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Barry-The car looks great and thanks for posting the offsets and tire sizes. It's a radical look for sure, but why not!

To lower my car, I went with a ground control coil over but I cheaped out and did not shorten the strut or weld on a spring perch-I used the stock spring perch. I measured the strut diameter, called ground control and they shipped me parts that just slid over my strut.

I then reassembled the car using their camber plates and dropped the car onto the bump stops using my lift, then raised it up 2.5" which is what ground control told me I needed for minimum travel. Measuring it all back, I needed a 6" spring, and we calculated a front spring rate that matched the rears being cut 1.5 coils.

coupe%20002%281%29.jpg

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I like it

Barry, two big thumbs up on your coupes stance, it makes the black coupe almost look like it's four-wheel drive. Also thumbs up for the photo shoot location, there is nothing as impressive as that in my area.

The BIG QUESTION is how does your coupe ride :?: and handle :?: now ? How much ground clearance does your front cross-member have now ? You should probably consider installing a front skid pan if you haven't already done so. I worked as a heavy man in body shops for over 20 years and I can tell you what happens when a cross-member hooks a manhole cover isn't pretty. ~ John Buchtenkirch

rb1971

Reaction score
Barry's car looks really nice in person as well, and the pics are great.

I like the way mine came out with Carl's kit. I've considered going slightly lower in the nose but that would probably cause lots of airdam interference on the gorgeous roads of downtown SF.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 270

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm glad you approve.

rb1971
I have seen those fine SF street, some are Brutal.
Lucy is perfect just the way she sits, I would cry if her chin ever got scraped.
Mine i would just rip it off - toss it then get another.

John
It handles just like any Coupe.
It's not the height, any harshness come from the spring rate of the springs... 440 front 600 rear.
skid pan... i have thought of it just haven't done it. You have to keep a very sharp eye on what's out on the roads.

Mich

Reaction score
I had a spare set of springs, so I cut a coil off the front and rears, paired with HDs. The fronts were perfect. The rears were too low, so I put the original springs back in the rear and went down a spacer size. The pic that was shot on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to The Vintage in 2010 (which is the one on the back cover of my book), with the trunk full of crap, so the car looks just a skosh tail-heavy. With the trunk empty it's about right.

--Rob

I only need to lower the front of my e9. When you cut the front springs and fitted, were they fastened? Or are the spring loose when you get the wheels of the ground?

did you cut 1 (360dgr) tota?

p.smitty

Reaction score
CN Springs

Just put a new set of CN springs on my car. The front is 1" lower, the back is the exact same height. Was that worth approx. $1000,00? (springs, shipping, and install) Personally, I think it's an expensive gamble.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You will need a spring compressor to remove and install the spring on the strut-use caution.

I only need to lower the front of my e9. When you cut the front springs and fitted, were they fastened? Or are the spring loose when you get the wheels of the ground?

did you cut 1 (360dgr) tota?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My experience with cutting springs in front: you have to cut a whole coil or it won't fit the perch and yes it will rattle at full drop of the control arms. No guarantee it will sit properly after that.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
For what it's worth I had new springs made with a 35mm hight reduction and also a 25% stiffer ride. With new billies and CN roll bars front and back car sits and drives better and flatter. I felt that the front could have come down by another 10/15 mm and the back by 20/25mm to better fill the arches. I took the rears back to a company the manufactures springs and had them heat and compress the backs by 20mm and I like the look of that amount of drop, still looks like it should but fills out the arches in a slightly more modern way. I run 5 series basket style bbs and had all four arches rolled with no clearance problems. I will leave it like this presently as I have my eyes on some 16" Alpinas that would look great but may cause fit issues. Anyway rather than cutting springs check out heating and recompressing....

John