Lowering springs, measurement

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recieved a set of lowering springs for my car, and there seems to be a problem with the uncompressed lenght of the front springs. They measure 18,5cm (7,28 inches) uncompressed which leads me to believe the springs will get loose between the spring perches when the car is lifted from the ground = won't pass MOT. Now, I still haven't contacted the company that I purchased them from, as I want to have some measurements of the minimum uncompressed spring lenght that I need for them to sit tight between the perches when the car is lifted from the ground before I do that.

Note that I haven't tried these 18,5cm long springs in my struts, but I strongly suspect that they are too short.

My car is in storage and not easy accessible at the moment, and even harder would it be to remove the front struts and start measuring. So I thought maybe someone here knows or can measure for me.
It would be great to know the lenght of other lowering springs, for example Carl Nelson springs.

Any input appreciated!

IMG_9695.jpeg

Cheers,

Last edited:

stphers

Reaction score
You can always drill a couple of small holes in the bottom cup and wiretie the bottom part of the spring to it, at least that way, when it goes up on the hoist, the spring stays in one spot and does flop around. Up here in Canada, everytime someone imports a BMW with lowered springs and it goes to get checked, they will not qualify the car because the springs " flop " around. I have managed to get a couple of cars past this by doing the tiedown. If not, I end up having to put std springs back in, get the car tested and hen put the lowered springs back in PIA Hope this helps

Thanks, Rick

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can always drill a couple of small holes in the bottom cup and wiretie the bottom part of the spring to it, at least that way, when it goes up on the hoist, the spring stays in one spot and does flop around. Up here in Canada, everytime someone imports a BMW with lowered springs and it goes to get checked, they will not qualify the car because the springs " flop " around. I have managed to get a couple of cars past this by doing the tiedown. If not, I end up having to put std springs back in, get the car tested and hen put the lowered springs back in PIA Hope this helps

Thanks, Rick

Thanks for your input Rick! Would absolutely like to avoid that solution, but it's an idea.
That's strange, I've had several BMWs and all of them has been lowered in some way or the other, but I've never had this problem, and I've had many different brands of lowering springs.
Is it legal in the US and the UK to have springs that can move and/or rattle around between the perches when the suspension is unloaded? I ask about UK because the springs are made there.

I know many of you here on the forum have CN lowering springs, is this the case with them too?

I'm confused, does not seem safe at all to have springs that can get loose.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, I have Carl Nelson springs, and right now my car is on jack stands awaiting front rotors. I estimate the springs (hanging with no weight on them) at 250mm.

The springs in your picture look way too short to me.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I have Carl Nelson springs, and right now my car is on jack stands awaiting front rotors. I estimate the springs (hanging with no weight on them) at 250mm.

The springs in your picture look way too short to me.

Thanks alot for measuring, Chris!
And so I understand correctly, the CN springs don't rattle between the perches while the car is on jackstands?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you both so much! Exactly what I needed. Now I can discuss the problem with the seller.:)

Have a nice weekend!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it legal in the US and the UK to have springs that can move and/or rattle around between the perches when the suspension is unloaded?

In the US, there is no mechanical inspection required of cars. Only smog inspection for cars that are 5 years and older and built after 1975. Fairly strict controls on smog (at least in California) but nothing else.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the US, there is no mechanical inspection required of cars. Only smog inspection for cars that are 5 years and older and built after 1975. Fairly strict controls on smog (at least in California) but nothing else.

I really don't know how this has passed me by all these years, but that explains alot! I was always under the impression you had to do some kind of mechanical inspection.
Even if it is a hustle with modified and/or enthusiast cars and a yearly mechanical inspection + smog (1975->) as we have over here, I still think it's good as it keeps dangerous (neglected) cars off the roads.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really don't know how this has passed me by all these years, but that explains alot! I was always under the impression you had to do some kind of mechanical inspection.
Even if it is a hustle with modified and/or enthusiast cars and a yearly mechanical inspection + smog (1975->) as we have over here, I still think it's good as it keeps dangerous (neglected) cars off the roads.

Yes, when I first moved over here I was really amazed that there was no technical inspection like there is in Europe. I thought that there would be carnage on the roads. But in reality I very rarely hear about an accident that is due to mechanical malfunction due to the age of the car. It is always due to the other usual suspects, like drunk driving, excessive speed, texting, etc...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Poor driving skills is a far bigger problem than neglected cars on the roads where I live.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe not having a yearly inspection makes people take more responsibility over their cars, I know many around here who goes to the inspection only to get the "fault-list" and fix it and then drive another year.
So it might be a two way street.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe not having a yearly inspection makes people take more responsibility over their cars, I know many around here who goes to the inspection only to get the "fault-list" and fix it and then drive another year.
So it might be a two way street.

Could very well be. Just like the very high drinking age here (21) seems to increase the appeal of underage alcohol useage.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Texas is talking about dropping it's inspection requirement. Wipers, lights, horn, tires. Pretty basic stuff. I've heard that East Coast states are/were far more rigorous in their inspections. Iowa and Arkansas have no safety inspections.
We have smog testing in the larger cities, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas for newer cars.

stphers

Reaction score
Here in BC, inspections are only required if the car has been involved in an accident or if bringing one from another province requires a stringent inspection which a number of licenced places can perform, IF it is coming into the country from another country, only one place , Canadian Tire can do those inspections Talk about a monopoly. Some of the items can be a real PIA