Looking for advice about selling my E3

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I am beginning to think about my next project. This has me quite anxious because it means I have to sell my E3. I do not have the financial means or space to have more than one project vehicle. The advice I am after is in respect of this forum and the wisedom and guidance it offers. Basically, I want my car to go to an enthusiast and there is no other website that I know of that has the breath and depth of E3 and E9 enthusiasts as e9coupe. I feel this is the best website to sell it on however I am always interested in members advice.

Appeciated,
Bill

IMG_3173.JPG

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bill,
Like you, the project is the hobby for me. I also need to sell the current project in order to fund the one I'm lusting after next. I sympathize.

We have all seen you do this E3 in a first class manner. It is a VERY nice car. Someone will get a special, well sorted Bavaria that they can drive anywhere in comfort and style.

I suggest that you sell it on BaT. I think that's where you can get the largest potential buyer audience, and the best price. Lots of good pictures (I'm really disappointed, BTW, with the ones for the latest BaT E9. Most are useless and all look like they were photographed with a potato).

The description doesn't matter much. They are all the standard BaT boilerplate. It's up to you to fully describe the car in the conversation and with a detailed description you can email to potential buyers that contact you. Don't be shy ;).

For no good reason, US buyers are leary of buying a vintage car in Canada. I've bought 2 in BC. The import process is so simple, I didn't use a broker. I hauled them home myself and with the exception of a quick VIN check on the US side at the border it was no different than buying then registering a car in the US. I suggest you either fully explain the process and costs for importing a vintage car from Canada to the US, or better yet, import it to the US yourself so that a potential buyer has nothing to worry about other than transport to their home from the POE. I can garage it here in Bellingham for you if that helps.

In any case, good luck and have fun with the next one.

otter74

Reaction score
Bill,

I haven’t been around here long enough to be familiar with your car, but at first glance it sure looks appealing, and if I hadn’t bought an E12 in May, I’d have been interested. And being in Edmonton would be a feature for me. I’ve bought a car from Canada (I bought a Saab SPG in Vancouver in 2017 and flew out and drove it home to Chicago) and it’s easy-peasy. But as Dick says, many people are intimidated by it. In my case (I bought the Saab on BaT) it probably led to a “Canadian discount” for me. Most of your market is going to be in the US, so it’s worth explaining the process to interested buyers and how easy it is. I often chime in on the subject if I notice it in an auction. I do think that BaT would be a good venue for it. But heck, you might find someone here. Although I can’t buy another car, I’m still curious to know about yours!

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill,
Like you, the project is the hobby for me. I also need to sell the current project in order to fund the one I'm lusting after next. I sympathize.

We have all seen you do this E3 in a first class manner. It is a VERY nice car. Someone will get a special, well sorted Bavaria that they can drive anywhere in comfort and style.

I suggest that you sell it on BaT. I think that's where you can get the largest potential buyer audience, and the best price. Lots of good pictures (I'm really disappointed, BTW, with the ones for the latest BaT E9. Most are useless and all look like they were photographed with a potato).

The description doesn't matter much. They are all the standard BaT boilerplate. It's up to you to fully describe the car in the conversation and with a detailed description you can email to potential buyers that contact you. Don't be shy ;).

For no good reason, US buyers are leary of buying a vintage car in Canada. I've bought 2 in BC. The import process is so simple, I didn't use a broker. I hauled them home myself and with the exception of a quick VIN check on the US side at the border it was no different than buying then registering a car in the US. I suggest you either fully explain the process and costs for importing a vintage car from Canada to the US, or better yet, import it to the US yourself so that a potential buyer has nothing to worry about other than transport to their home from the POE. I can garage it here in Bellingham for you if that helps.

In any case, good luck and have fun with the next one.

Hi Dick

Thx so much for the kind words and the offer of your garage! Very appreciated.

BAT does seem like the popular choice these days. I have a few other suggestions to check out too; there are a few E3 centric FB groups too and theres a CL group around Vancouver too.

You are correct! It is so so easy to import vintage vehicles. All of my projects sans this bavaria were from The US. The bavaria was originally a California car and I found it locally. Transportation has been easily arranged with many websites offering competitive bids. Both Govts have easy to follow processes too and as always learning the process and having all the forms completed is obviously important.

All the best,
Bill

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill, I know it is not the same BMW model, but I just sold Lilli, our 1976 Chaminoix 2002 on BaT. Here is what I learned that produced a most successful result. In no particular order.

A. Professional Photography. My daughter took my photos. I am encuraging her to use her BA in Fine Art Photography for something she loves, cars and photographey. I paid
her 1% of the sale price.
B. At minimum, 150 photos, a cold start video, a driving video and a run through the gears video.
C. Alert everyone you know who knows you and the car to chime in during the course of the auction.
D. Be available to answer questions, add comments to others comments.
E. Tell a story but release it gradually during the auction. After 40 or 50 comments few will start at the beginning.
D. Add photos and a video during the auction. My daughter added photos including a beautiful collage towards the end.
E. Tune in at least an hour before the BaT end time. And be prepared to hang around as the clock resets with each additional bid. My auction went 32 minutes over time.
F. The BaT is pretty much boiler plate. BaT speak I call it. But you can negotiate the Reserve.
G. Look at as many previous e3 auctions to get a sense of what you want to see from your car's sale.

Take a look at my auction. It ended on Thursday July 27. Final bid: $34,500. Not bad for an automatic, air conditioned 1976. But with 87,000 pampered, original miles!!

Good luck,

Steve

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve

Thank you for the sound advice! I agree; I have tracked a view auctions and the sellers involvement through the auction period is helpful as potential buyers have questions. BAT is a form of social media so the seller should be involved in the dialogue. I also think your friendly demeanor and knowledgeable responses helped your auction along however the 2002 you sold is truly pristine. Lovely!

I will post any 'for sale' postings on the forum...

Appreciated,
Bill