Long Time Lurker

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been watching the forum and trying to learn for a while. I saw my first CS in college years ago and have wanted one ever since. The timing and finances never seemed to line up before but it seems that now might be the time. Returning from 8.5 years in Asia and am very interested in a CS or CSi.

A quick thanks to all of you for the insight and great discussions over the last couple of years and I look forward to joining the owners club soon.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been watching the forum and trying to learn for a while. I saw my first CS in college years ago and have wanted one ever since. The timing and finances never seemed to line up before but it seems that now might be the time. Returning from 8.5 years in Asia and am very interested in a CS or CSi.

A quick thanks to all of you for the insight and great discussions over the last couple of years and I look forward to joining the owners club soon.
Welcome, and what specifically are you looking for? So many choices in that small range. Budget? Colors, etc?

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Ill one,
Thanks for the reply. Not to sound like a cliché but a clean straight body with no rust (I know, hard to find and everyone wants that). Although not an expert by any means, I can do some wrenching and would be happy to do it but am mostly looking for a car that is at least drivable for now. Baikal and fjord would be good colors but also like the red and would be OK with black too. My budget for now is capped at $50K, although like everyone else, spending less would be better. I've started another thread in the Cars section that has gotten more traction as I gave more info to begin with so feel free to answer there if you'd like.

Thanks again for the reply,

Jake

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe has some rust, enough so that the previous owner was dismayed at it's condition, but no so much it's going to be hard to fix. I like welding and have restored several cars previously so I'm up to the challenge. I'd rather do the work and have the fun than pay someone to do it.

As other's have said, since they are almost all going to have rust issues, it's better to buy one knowing that you'll have to take it apart and get it done right than pay a lot for a good looking car only to find it's got lurking issues.

Of course, not everyone has the resources to take on a car project of that scale, it's not trivial at all. California cars and some other lucky ones can be very solid but these days that prices them out of my budget.

Ian

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
All good points. I will probably have time to learn some welding in the coming year and maybe a reason to use it as well! That being said, family and life often get in the way of other things and experienced help on a project like a car can pay back in spades down the road.

If I were to find a car with good shock towers, is doing rocker panels and footwells an easier, less expensive fix? From what I'm reading, the towers can be a deal breaker or at least much harder to get right.