Limited Slip Diff carriers

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just got a reply email from Dan Fitzgerald (Diffsonline.com) on an inquiry. he mentioned that they will be going into production of a limited slip carrier later this year that will fit our diffs. i have asked him to advise me on whether they will only fit into an existing LSD or if it will work in an open diff. I have also asked him to keep me posted when they are going into production as i have the feeling that several people in our community might be interested.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sorry for the double post - not sure how i did that. I got a reply from Dan this morning. it is being designed to work with open diffs ... they are concentrating on this for vintage racing but will have a street version as well. for those that don't know diffsonline, they are a very reputable company that do a lot of diffs for BMW ... they work a lot with Mario at VSR. the e30 m3 community has a lot of great things to say about their work.

oh, and i changed the title ... didn't think we should be talking about LSD.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no answer to that yet, i have asked what the target guestimate might be. i have also asked if this will be a kit for sale or only for diffsonline to build LS Diff from. the bottom line is, there is a vanishing pool of LS Diffs that fit our cars ... quicker than the getrag 265 tranny.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Awesome!

I predict maybe in the $15o0 USD range.

Beats buying a used one for $2k w/unknown condition of the internals.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan doesn't care to predict the cost yet. he did indicate that he will have them as kits for sale as well as part of his own builds. my hope is that it will be significantly less than 1500.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Scott -- Help me understand please. I thought the carrier was the exterior case for a differential. So, is diffsonline planning to make a carrier that will both fit within the space in our cars, and at the same time enable the use of a more widely available limited slip unit?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not my area of expertise. i understand that the case is the case and the carrier holds the ring gear inside of the case. these are pics of other carriers for BMW ... not ones that will work in our cars. so they will make one that would fit within our cases ... so that would make it easier to have LS in our cars. it still will cost some $$$

dangillanDiffsonlineHR-13.jpg