License Plate Frames

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone has a vintage BMW dealer license plate frame from southern California that they would be willing to sell. Some of the known dealers were:

Vasek Polak-Hermosa Beach, Ocean View Motors-Santa Monica, C. Bob Autrey-Long Beach, Hyde Park Motors-Los Angeles, Schneider Motors-Orange County, Roy Carver-Newport Beach, Helane Motors-Alhambra, Four J Motors-Los Angeles, or any others. Must be restorable and not broken. A picture of my restored `69 2002 frame is below. Thanks in advance for any leads.

Chris

Attachments

• CIMG2582.jpg
    CIMG2582.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 204

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
OUCH!!!!! Seriously?
I'll have to call my parents to see if they threw out my boxes of "junk" in their garage. I'm pretty sure I had a Vasek among the frames I collected as a kid -- I KNOW that I had at least Bob Smith (a relative worked there in up until the 90's) and a bunch of Bay Area dealers (Carlsen, Stevens Creek, etc).
... wow, I'm stunned.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Porsche frames go for crazy money but no BMW VP frames ever show up. I have seen the Pelican page and regularly search eBay, and if you have any Porsche frames definitely look for them, they might fetch a tidy sum. If you find a BMW frame in the junk pile let me know. Thanks.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You might want to think about a chrome frame from the quite inactive CS Registry.
I have one on my coupe, that I traded a buddy for when he bought his coupe from a VA owner with two(ug) plates on the car. I could send you a photo if you email me at
[email protected] If you are interested the Registry mailing list is still active and they may have access to one.

PA requires only a rear plate, thank you Commonwealth.
Steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

I grew up in that area and I never saw a VP Porsche shop in Redondo Beach. The Porsches were at 356 PCH in Manhattan Beach and then at 199 PCH in Hermosa Beach. I bought my `74 2002 from him in Hermosa Beach just south of the original Porsche location which became his Saab store. That is why those Redondo frames are so cheap. Here is the BMW Hermosa Beach frame and I recently saw the Manhattan Beach BMW frame which is extremely rare.

Steve, Thanks for the offer, I have a registry grille badge but really want a dealer frame.

Attachments

• VasekPolakLicensePlateFrameBMW.jpg
    VasekPolakLicensePlateFrameBMW.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 250
  • VP MB Frame.jpg
    VP MB Frame.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 310

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
How is that Manhattan Beach plate legal ?

Places like this (www.cr8-a-pl8.com)will create a metal, period correct plate, but the number shown looks like a personalized plate. I didn't think these were available in the 70's.

The reason I asked is that I just picked up these, and Im looking to get the plates period correct too:

Last edited:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
David,

Personalized plates were available in the early 70's here.

I have a California blue plate with my mom's name on it from her 280SE Mercedes hanging in the garage. Wish I still had the car, factory special order two tone, silver over black.