Latest purchase... any Land Rover owners out there?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When we had our MGB GT.
she was the 1.8 version...
I also had a GT for a while. I never spun it, however :). It had the Laycock OD. That, along with the less claustrophobic cabin made for a great car!

IMG_7841 copy.JPG

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
She looks to be in pretty good condition.
The problem we have with them over here is the bulkhead rusts out and so does the tailgate.
I think the engines are normally quite good , the valley gaskets and the water pump are 2 weak spots though.
Chances are yours might be okay if the engine was rebuilt “ recently “
Good luck with it.
I looked underneath the other day and the underside looks very good. Central California weather is fairly mild.

Barry.b

Reaction score
What size / spec was that engine ?
I see a nice remote oil filter , I assume to avoid the frame rails .
Did you manage to get the headers down between the frame or did you have to find another way out through the inner wings ?
Was she manual or automatic?
Did she still have the lever arm dampers and stock brakes or did they get updated too ??
Did the transmission tunnel stay stock ?
I think we need more photos :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
What size / spec was that engine ?
I see a nice remote oil filter , I assume to avoid the frame rails .
Did you manage to get the headers down between the frame or did you have to find another way out through the inner wings ?
Was she manual or automatic?
Did she still have the lever arm dampers and stock brakes or did they get updated too ??
Did the transmission tunnel stay stock ?
I think we need more photos :)
289ci automatic. The Ford V8 is narrower than the Chevy so it helps with the small installs like that one. I bought the car with the block mounted on the frame and that's it, so I had to finish all the rest. Stock type suspension, and surprisingly good handling with that setup. I kept the car looking completely stock and had duel exhaust with two mufflers. It was pretty quiet and surprised quite a few cars (and motorcycles) with it's speed. Headers were custom made and the tunnel was widened. I was young and didn't have much experience with that stuff so I fiber glassed the tunnel and some of the details weren't all they great. I sold it 90% finished when a '69 E-Type roadster opportunity popped up. Probably should've kept the Jag.

Barry.b

Reaction score
289ci automatic. The Ford V8 is narrower than the Chevy so it helps with the small installs like that one. I bought the car with the block mounted on the frame and that's it, so I had to finish all the rest. Stock type suspension, and surprisingly good handling with that setup. I kept the car looking completely stock and had duel exhaust with two mufflers. It was pretty quiet and surprised quite a few cars (and motorcycles) with it's speed. Headers were custom made and the tunnel was widened. I was young and didn't have much experience with that stuff so I fiber glassed the tunnel and some of the details weren't all they great. I sold it 90% finished when a '69 E-Type roadster opportunity popped up. Probably should've kept the Jag.
A 4.7 litre v8 MGB GT sleeper .
that must have been really cool off the lights :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A 4.7 litre v8 MGB GT sleeper .
that must have been really cool off the lights :)
Yes and no. Stock sized tires to be a good sleeper so I had to play with the throttle a little bit. It was also just an MGB not a GT. Seemed to take the torque okay though.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also had a GT for a while. I never spun it, however :). It had the Laycock OD. That, along with the less claustrophobic cabin made for a great car!

View attachment 166895
Nice BGT Dick! I know you have seen my Healey, but for others who haven't yet abandoned this thread, here is what I use to fishtail and fling gravel. 1964 Austin Healey 3000 Mark 3, BJ8, also Laycock de Normanville overdrive, been in there a couple times, but a great asset!
tempImagexsHu45.png
Owned for 47 years, great memories :

Barry.b

Reaction score
Your Healey is a beautiful car , you must have had some great times with it over those 47 years and counting.
Did she originally come with the removable hardtop or was that added later ?
I have always admired a 3000 or a 100 also , most of them on this side of the Atlantic rusted away unfortunately .
She’s a beauty !!!
Your friends Tr looks nice also btw.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your Healey is a beautiful car , you must have had some great times with it over those 47 years and counting.
Did she originally come with the removable hardtop or was that added later ?
I have always admired a 3000 or a 100 also , most of them on this side of the Atlantic rusted away unfortunately .
She’s a beauty !!!
Your friends Tr looks nice also btw.
Thanks Barry, you have great taste! ;) Yes many great times in my Healey. One of note, many years ago, I drove it from Vancouver to New York and shipped it to England to attend International Healey Weekend on the grounds of Knebworth House, North of London. Met many wonderful friends and had a blast driving my LHD Healey on the other side of the roadway. Stopped in at Abingdon to take a photo of my Healey exiting the very door that the Austin Healeys came off the assembly line, and so on. The hardtop I had to hunt down as there were only about 180 ever made for the convertible Healey. There are repros now, of course, but we all prefer original, right? Mike

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These things hold no interest to me. Might be an other side of the pond thing. But my neighbor has a bunch. Unusual sight on this coast.

20231022_072153.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I tried to save it but no one was interested so it's getting scrapped. It's a shame. Engine sounds good and was supposedly rebuilt, no rust, just a huge project.