Keys for my 1974 3.0CS

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I want to ask: How were these cars keyed originally?

Mine has a salad of keys... I got a new ignition switch and with it I got a beautiful chrome key with a BMW logo on one side and PEBRA and a number on the other, plus I got two similar keys with a black plastic cover with a BMW logo on one side and PEBRA on the other plus an engraved number in the key. One of the black keys is doors and the other is trunk. I suppose that they might have changed locks over time.

What should I have? One key for all? Or two keys that open what?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 17.03 163.JPG
    17.03 163.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 17.03 164.JPG
    17.03 164.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 478

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rubber key should open everything, the silver "valet" key should not open the trunk or glove box.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Mar 74 owners manual shows the same Pebra keys. The original keys work as Steve explained but they didn't have a rubber cover according to the manual. The one with seven dimples is the master, the one with six has a flatter end like yours and is the valet key. Your keys have different dimple configurations as your locks have been changed.

For some reason the US supplement reverses these two keys in the description, strange.

(The 2002 never used a dimple/Pebra key)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 73 had rubber BMW logo keys and valey key back in the day and I got from orignal owner. I have 2 rubber BMW logo keys and valet key that came with my car now which appear original. Maybe those are older or euro pics for the manual?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
How many sets of keys did the E9's come with when sold new? I have 3 origional sets of keys (ie 6 origional keys). Seems generous to sell a new car with 3 sets. Was this standard?

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you guys! So, apparently it is black for everything, and chromed for valet. I will try to get my locksmith to adjust the keys/locks.