insurance Q's

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thinking of trying to save some money, currently with Nationwide for two cars and a truck (the old stuff is with Hagerty..), as well as the house...Inlaws are big fans of Erie Insurance. Any thoughts about them?....any favorites elsewhere from you guys that have extensively shopped this market...premiums vs. claims? Is it always best to package home and cars? Any help is appreciated.
Dave V. in western North Carolina

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have my coupe with State Farm along with the rest of our insurance. Premium for the coupe with $37k agreed value, about $350 a year. Thought I would shop some quotes to see if I could lower my premiums. Heard great things about Erie so shopped them first. The local agent gave me a quote that was about $300. less for my entire package.

The interesting part was that he shopped my coupe classic insurance out to Hagerty who then wanted me to go through their full application process. As far as I know State Farm does not pimp my ride. Decided to stay with State Farm. Have always been happy with claims on my other modern cars.

Steve

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have my coupe with State Farm along with the rest of our insurance. Premium for the coupe with $37k agreed value, about $350 a year. Thought I would shop some quotes to see if I could lower my premiums. Heard great things about Erie so shopped them first. The local agent gave me a quote that was about $300. less for my entire package.

The interesting part was that he shopped my coupe classic insurance out to Hagerty who then wanted me to go through their full application process. As far as I know State Farm does not pimp my ride. Decided to stay with State Farm. Have always been happy with claims on my other modern cars.

Steve

I'm with state farm also. I think mine is quite a bit more (like $50 a month). I'm accident free, multiple car discount, etc. Insurance is expensive in Seattle though.

I call in and turn off my liability when I'm not driving the car. Comprehensive alone is very inexpensive.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have not heard of Erie Insurance. I use Statefarm for everything except the prewar cars, for those two I use J.C. Taylor. We've been happy with them for 28 years. We've had a couple of claims during those years and they paid well. I am going to be doing agreed values for Athena, Rodney and Vern. Will be getting appraisals from Mario Langsten at VSR later this summer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Read the fine print on State Farm's "agreed value" as I don't recall it's the same as Hagerty's et al as they give themselves some wiggle room. That's why I switched my coupe out of the State Farm policy I have for the house and normal cars. Otherwise, SF has been bery bery good to me.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i agree with Steve, i have had SF insurance on my cars + house since the mid 70's ... and if there is a problem (accident / theft) they are going to use the values in their computer - even if you have a stipulated / agreed value. i have been thru this with them, and that is why i switched to Hagerty and then to Heac0ck when i got the coupe. my coupe is insured with the same coverage as my 911, and the coupe only costs 325 / year.

jmackro

Reaction score
I call in and turn off my liability when I'm not driving the car. Comprehensive alone is very inexpensive.

You are fortunate to be able to do that. When I lived in another state, I used to do that too and my insurance company was fine with it. But here in California, a vehicle can't be registered unless it has basic liability insurance - suspend the insurance and your insurer has to notify the DMV, who will cancel the registration. Then, when you want to put the car back on the road, you have to go through the whole re-registration process.

Like all well-meaning regulations, the purpose of this is to ensure that all cars on the road have insurance. But the simple "work around" is to neither register nor insure. So like many regulations, the net result probably worsens the situation.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are fortunate to be able to do that. When I lived in another state, I used to do that too and my insurance company was fine with it. But here in California, a vehicle can't be registered unless it has basic liability insurance - suspend the insurance and your insurer has to notify the DMV, who will cancel the registration. Then, when you want to put the car back on the road, you have to go through the whole re-registration process.
Georgia is similar - although if you suspend the insurance they don't cancel the registration, they just send you a $75 ticket ... and you can't renew your registration (on any car) until it is paid.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Like all well-meaning regulations, the purpose of this is to ensure that all cars on the road have insurance. But the simple "work around" is to neither register nor insure. So like many regulations, the net result probably worsens the situation.

Jay, couldn't you simply put it temporarily as PNO (Planned Non Operation). I think you can do it easily with AAA and then put it back to normal when you are going to use it.