Humorous e3 R&T article

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What a great idea. I hereby suggest we all venture into our respective garages with a bottle of bourbon and write an article about our cars. Anybody know where I can get some Pappy's?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hilarious. But somehow I still feel just slightly offended, having owned a number of fine E3's. To me the E3 is still one of the all time best BMW sedans. They established the market for what it meant to combine sport and luxury. Nothing else came close in terms of a fun to drive car that would seat four adults in comfort. The Mercs were bloated barges, Audi's were cheap junk, and the big Jags lacked the relatively light & agile character of these E3's. Perhaps only the big Alfa's offered a similar combination.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed, but i dont think the author is old enough to put that in context.

Hilarious. But somehow I still feel just slightly offended, having owned a number of fine E3's. To me the E3 is still one of the all time best BMW sedans. They established the market for what it meant to combine sport and luxury. Nothing else came close in terms of a fun to drive car that would seat four adults in comfort. The Mercs were bloated barges, Audi's were cheap junk, and the big Jags lacked the relatively light & agile character of these E3's. Perhaps only the big Alfa's offered a similar combination.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sam isn't that old but he's been around cars (mostly BMWs, iirc) for most of his life. I remember when he and Jason Cammisa showed up at Automobile magazine I thought their writings were more entertaining and relatable. The magazine went downhill after they left. I know that Sam wrote for Roundel for a short time but had no idea he was now at R&T, mostly because I always thought it was waiting room junk and haven't thumbed through one since the 80s. Maybe I'll have to check out an issue.

Bwana

Reaction score
Great photos, kind of a sad article. Even though mine doesn't run (yet) I still really like it.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
The implication that the E3 was significantly heavier than the E9 is a bit misleading - in fact they were very similar in kerb weight, the difference between comparable-engined models of the E3 and E9 being only a few kilos (CSL not included).
This was because the Karmann-built two door car's body required a considerable amount of reinforcement for stiffness.