Reaction score
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, since you people never let me get away with anything I ordered the "correct" Walnut veneer and I got enough to do both sets of wood, one for mine and one for a friend. Scott, I will be veneering the poplar just to keep you happy. There was another gentleman on the forum who did a great job covering the gauge/speedo wood; if anyone can post that link here I will try to copy what he did and I did get enough veneer to do a couple of pieces twice because, well, just because. Dave, I'll be in touch!

Peter

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The value of forum friends! I just received a package from Dave in NC with enough veneer to do a school bus. Thanks so much! I think he sent me so much because he knows I will mess it up at least 3 times. Dave, Please PM me with shipping costs at least and your phone number so I can get some tips. Also- there's a little donation in your name for the forum :) Un-freggin-believable!

I'm so glad I did not buy that Jaguar in 2011!

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well it is on eBay, but these guys have advertised French Walnut for some time. Veneer that is if you go that way.
FRENCH-WALNUT-VENEER-/262911165625?hash=item3d36ba04b9%3Ag%3AErwAAOSwPcVVnDTx&_trkparms=pageci%253A7dc518d2-1582-11e7-ad23-74dbd180bf38%257Cparentrq%253A20c7540515b0aa12e1838b78fffeb097%257Ciid%253A1

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SWEET! I need to drive over to the shop, Peter. As you know... the wood in the CS is pathetic. I'm interested in "helping"

and... way to go Dave! Glad to know good folks still abound.

Ed Z

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What goes around, usually comes around. Peter has always been good to me; a freebie this and a cheapie that. We try to take care of each other, or at least keep it human. Murray Fowler helped me understand that...He also always said not to worry; if I didn't understand something, someone would be around soon that would explain it to me if he couldn't. I agree with you completely Alan.
Dave V. in NC

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have no experience with these people but they show a nice variety of veneers...

https://www.formwood.com/veneerlibrary.html

They apparently make kits for specific dashboards although I did not see a list of which cars. Looks like you have to email them and ask. My initial feeling would be that I would rather buy a large piece of veneer, glue it and then trim it to fit rather than use pre cut pieces but maybe this is helpful to someone.

https://www.formwood.com/dashboardkits.html

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all, I am almost afraid to say that this stuff is coming along pretty well and I'll post some pictures tomorrow I hope. Dave in NC also gave me an hour on the phone and filled my head pretty much to the top so I had to stop him! I got the clock/speedo surround done today- pretty much and I thought that was going to be the hardest part but it was easier than I thought; don't do this without talking to Dave :)

Now I'm working on color, with the walnut I'm using I have to steer towards "red" to get the brownish color, I made some sample plates so I might actually know what I'm doing by the time I get around to doing mine. I like this stuff as it keeps my little mind occupied but it's a bit dusty so I have to do allot outside the shop.

Thanks again for all the help!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, here goes- it's also a bit of a pain cleaning off the old crap from the metal door pieces, all of which has to be done to get the correct look.

Brandan, there is a piece in black if you think it will work with your build-

Attachments

• dash wood1.JPG
    dash wood1.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 128
  • dash wood2.JPG
    dash wood2.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 118
  • dash wood3.JPG
    dash wood3.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 118
  • dash wood14.JPG
    dash wood14.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • dash wood18.JPG
    dash wood18.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 133
  • dash wood1.JPG
    dash wood1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 126
  • dash wood2.JPG
    dash wood2.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 129
  • dash wood3.JPG
    dash wood3.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 120
  • dash wood4.JPG
    dash wood4.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 125

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking good Peter. I hope you are an expert by the time I need you to hold my hand to do the same!

Drew

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the results will be really good but the artwork comes from not having to run around like crazy making little shims and sticking them here and there to get the bends correct. It's actually fairly forgiving stuff to work with but you have to go slow :)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks great! The gauge cluster looks like the toughest piece to do. Pretty soon you'll be re-veneering steering wheels for fun.