Help with clutch hydraulics!

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I installed the remanufactured clutch master cylinder that I got from La Jolla Independent. However, although everything was a breeze with the installation, the clutch is not released when I depress the pedal. I bled the system and got the air out but the pedal is very soft and it seems that there is no pressure sent to the slave cylinder. I'm not sure what's going on. Did I forget a step???
Here is what I did:
1. installed the new master cylinder
2. bolted the rod to the pedal
3. plugged the feed line from the reservoir to the opening on top of the cylinder
4. connected the line below to the slave cylinder
5. filled the reservoir
6. bled the circuit

for step 3. I just pushed in the line into the seal opening. Could this be the issue? I don't see what else I could have done since there is no thread there and the old one came out straight...

Any tips and pointers are welcome.
Thanks!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i would say first post pics of all of it, in order to see details, and to see which type of system do you have, there are two versions, older and newer

as to step 3, generally speaking is like you say, but from say to do, it might be differences, may be it is not well positioned

another question, how did you positioned the slave cylinder ?, sometimes you can turn it upside down, and that will not allow the bubbles out

the slave bleeding point must be higher than the feeding line

if helps, chck this one,

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10559

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
i would say first post pics of all of it, in order to see details, and to see which type of system do you have, there are two versions, older and newer

as to step 3, generally speaking is like you say, but from say to do, it might be differences, may be it is not well positioned

another question, how did you positioned the slave cylinder ?, sometimes you can turn it upside down, and that will not allow the bubbles out

the slave bleeding point must be higher than the feeding line

if helps, chck this one,

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10559

Thanks! I reviewed your thread. My set up looks like yours as you can see on the pictures. I'm not sure which version it is though, older or newer. I just handed my old core to Carl and he gave me this replacement unit.

I didn't have to remove the slave cylinder. I kept it as it was and the bleeder screw is positioned above the line.

Attachments

• IMAG0291.jpg
    IMAG0291.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 142

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the same problem, no pressure although everything was correct. I cracked the slave bleeder screw (very slightly) and let it sit overnight, tightened it up the next morning and worked perfect- not sure why, but it's one of the few things I don't worry about when driving now.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have used a pressure bleeder from the reservoir. I have found it makes sense to replace both master and slave as it is hard to tell sometimes which is not working properly and the slave will go out eventually anyway.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now that is clever. i have used a pressure bleeder before, but i have to say, this is a mo' betta idea.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today's conundrum.
You can't install a slave cylinder if your clutch pedal
Is left all the way depressed to the floor .