Heat shield project

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There have been references to a mysterious E12/E28 heat shield that fits the coupe so while my tranny is out waiting for it's 5 speed I ordered up part #51481832850 and this is what arrived:

IMG_2528.JPG

It seems to fit pretty much perfectly into the contours of the underside. One of the fastening points is along the transmission mounting rail. I hacked up an M8 bolt (I am tired of ordering parts) to square it up and fit the front part of the rail (I ended up shortening it a little more), the other end will use the existing square bolt:

IMG_2526.JPG

Here it is mounted up (frame rail below, tunnel above, the left side curves up under the fire wall insulation):

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

There are more mounting holes but at this point I am not going to drill holes in the underside. The front tucks into the fire wall insulation:

IMG_2532.JPG

I will likely put some adhesive in front to hold it against the firewall and some 3M sticky stuff on the bottom edges to prevent rattles and give it some air space. Final fit/tweaking will be done when the 5 speed goes in and I will update then.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks awesome, and better than an aftermarket pad pop riveted on.
You could put a layer of the thin aerogel stuff between the shield and the body to prevent rattes and give even better insulation

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A most excellent suggestion. What about cutting out some fiberglass heater insulation in the shape of the metal and mounting it to the underside of shield, say 1/4" thick or so? This would create a heat barrier as well as eliminate any rattles.

You could put a layer of the thin aerogel stuff between the shield and the body to prevent rattes and give even better insulation

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
excellent, i think this part showed up here a long time ago, as i bought one too, ...it is sitting in the shelve since then waiting for the right moment...

i thought that some aluminium beating was needed to match the shape of the car, it is good to know that it is not the case

a word of advice on installing anything between the body and this part, any material able to absorb water will be a concern, in my opinion the part will do the job alone, provided there is an air chamber between it and the body,

nonetheless it might be a good idea to place a couple of small pads of dynamat on the wide areas to increase self weight and thus move away from eigenmodes (one "g", right ;-))

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good job Steve,

I got the heat shield and it came a little to late last year to get it installed before I put my motor back in.
I did put some Dynamat type material along the tunnel and above my headers to keep the floor from getting so hot. It helped tremendously.
Keep the airspace behind the shield as that will help dissipate the heat.

Will get installed this year after the motor gets removed again for the body work and paint job.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Steve -- I have that same heat shield installed on my car. I used the existing tranny bolt, and then used two bushings cut laterally that I had laying around to hold the heat shield away from the car. Both bushings are wedged into the heat shield so as to press the shield away from the area where is it bolted to the car.

20150708_164810.jpg

20150708_164742.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have installed the above mentioned heat shield as I was also fed up with the hot feet syndrome.
I welded 2 female threaded studs to the underside to locate it. Works nicely. (i'll update my restoration thread with some pics)
Now i would also want to consider an extension of this heatshield, and i found this part referenced in the tech manuals. Its indicated as being for a 3,3 L.
(link: http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/BMW-E9-Manual/pages/en/26110000.html)

I think it sits between the exhaust and the propellor shaft, and the picture of the 3.3 L E3 seems to show a near identical underside of the body.
If the exhausts and prop shaft are identical from E3 to e9 (which i don't know), then I would tkae the guess and (try to) order it.

-> anyone ever tried it?
-> Are exhaust and prop shaft identical from E3 to E9?
upload_2016-11-8_11-38-22.png

by the way, the 6 series (E24) also has heat shield that could potentially fit: (second image; shield seems to be shorter then the e3 3.3 L version)
upload_2016-11-8_12-26-46.png

Erik.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Erik -- those both look like great ideas. I would think the e24 part could be found in a boneyard somewhere, but who knows.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update; I wasn't able to find the holy-grail 3.3L 8-bolt heat shield. No e24 shield also showed up after asking around.

What I did find was an E60/E61 used heat shield, it seemed to be matching in shape and style & best thing, it was just 30 euro's, so I gave it a go and ordered it...-> There's no chance to fit it.

Don't go fo the E60/61 heat shield... it's bloody big, more then twice the width needed. So I will have to continue the hunt for the E24 part I guess.

enclosed some pics of the smaller shield up front, inc some measurements of how where I attached the 2 weld nuts. I had to create one additional hole up front for an M8 bolt. The hatched area is the route of the downpipe. I also trimmed the side so it does not rub on the frame rails; I don't want it to eat into the paint of the frame rails.

Attachments

• 20161103_223136.jpg
    20161103_223136.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 20161103_220250.jpg
    20161103_220250.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 20161021_104524.jpg
    20161021_104524.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 20161021_104544.jpg
    20161021_104544.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you try this part number. I think this was for an E12. Have not installed so can't speak about fitment.
I could not install without removing the transmission.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure you could put the E24 shield on there, or any other. Surely E28's have them too. Actually the E9 is the first BMW I've ever seen that doesn't have one. I was wondering what keeps the center bearing rubber from melting. The shields are just corrugated aluminum and could be cut and bent to any shape easily. I assumed you could find it in generic sheets, but that's looking difficult. There's a product called "Nimbus GII" that looks good, but so far I haven't found it for sale in the US. I'd like to glue some to the gas tank as well. There also exists corrugated Inconel for the same purpose, for those who just can't seem to spend enough money. I've seen pre-made kits of it for the dodge Viper for about $4000.

carcrazy

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes you're right! that makes me feel better about the transaction!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you try this part number. I think this was for an E12. Have not installed so can't speak about fitment.
I could not install without removing the transmission.

@ M5BB, Gary the 51481832850 that you refer to is actually THE heat shield that Steven and I both installed, see the initial post and picture.
I installed it with my auto trans still in place. I did removed the trans support bracket, and supported it with a jack. I mounted the shield between the body and the trans support bracket. I also removed both down pipes.