Having the Time of My Life Driving my 74 e9 down the coast

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although I have had some issues, now resolved, i hope, I have been having the time of my life driving from Sun Valley, Idaho, to Seattle, then down the Washington-Oregon-California coastline with my awesome and amazing blind and deaf standard poodle Margaux. You can follow along with our journey on Facebook here or on Instagram here.

Had my carbs tuned and filters cleaned at Bill Arnold's shop in San Rafeal north of SF. Before that, I could barely get up hills. Now it is like a new car. Don Lawrence in Oakland swapped out my radiator and thermostat. He is working on some amazing e9's in his shop. WOW. Both Bill and Don were awesome to help me out during the holiday weekend.

I am at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay for a day or so, then I head back home. Not sure if I will go back via Reno, which is a boring ~11 hour ride, or if I should head back up the coast again, which is amazing but will add a day to the trip.

Don said I needed new tires. Any recommendations for brand, etc. I have 14" wheel.

Scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If youre in a hurry for something on your trip you could probably find some michelins at a shop in 195/70/14 or 205/70/14, both will fit.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
If you want a non-boring drive to Reno, consider crossing the Sierras on Calif. Hwy 70 rather than I-80. It's a two lane road through the spectacular Feather River Canyon. There are a lot of nice bridges on the road too. There's not enough room for both the railroad and road on the same side of the canyon. When the railroad crosses from one side to the other the road has to cross too so there are car and railroad bridges stacked on top of each other at right angles.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want a non-boring drive to Reno, consider crossing the Sierras on Calif. Hwy 70 rather than I-80. It's a two lane road through the spectacular Feather River Canyon. There are a lot of nice bridges on the road too. There's not enough room for both the railroad and road on the same side of the canyon. When the railroad crosses from one side to the other the road has to cross too so there are car and railroad bridges stacked on top of each other at right angles.
thanks. any ideas on best route once 70 ends to get to Sun Valley? Looks unclear on the map, but may be some epic rides

shanon

Reaction score
+1 for Hwy 70, basically my backyard ;-)

A thought: google Hwy 70 to Quincy, then Quincy onto Susanville , Sunsanville out to Alturas/395....then southern Oregon out to Idaho..?

completely bypass I80....?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
All great suggestions. I don't want to go back a boring way. I will look into it further but if someone wants to chime in here and influence my ride I would appreciate it. Getting new tires now. I did not realize my tires were probably 10 years old

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you go 80 from Sacramento to Reno let me know. Barry and I live on the way in Rocklin...

Might make that route worthwhile knowing that you are there just in case something happens at to say hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You could also go straight across to highway 120 and go over the Sierras that way to Mono Lake, then north to Carson/Reno. 120 is like a postcard just north of Yosemite valley. Its also well traveled.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could also go straight across to highway 120 and go over the Sierras that way to Mono Lake, then north to Carson/Reno. 120 is like a postcard just north of Yosemite valley. Its also well traveled.

Except Tioga Pass will be closed until the end of June. :(

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1 for Hwy 70, basically my backyard ;-)

A thought: google Hwy 70 to Quincy, then Quincy onto Susanville , Sunsanville out to Alturas/395....then southern Oregon out to Idaho..?

completely bypass I80....?
So, are you thinking this route then?
This would be almost as long as it would take to go back up the coast via Portland and back. Is this much better?
Are there places to stop for hotel/motel etc along the way?

shanon

Reaction score
Cant say if any route is better, haven't driven to Idaho before. Do know that Nevada can get hot and be boring.

I'd ask the poodle, we all know he's in charge...

;-)

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
It's raining this morning , but it should pass by noon.
I'm not going to be home until this afternoon.
If your coming through let me know.
Beautiful roads from Hmb through the city over the GGB, Marin. Also up through Chico

Barry

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's raining this morning , but it should pass by noon.
I'm not going to be home until this afternoon.
If your coming through let me know.
Beautiful roads from Hmb through the city over the GGB, Marin. Also up through Chico

Barry

On my way now driving. Please direct message me your cell phone number and I will share my location. Planning on being in Truckee at about 1030. I can fill out grab a bite to eat and say hi to you guys at that time if it makes sense.

shanon

Reaction score
enjoy the ride!
only tweak Id suggest is take 139 outta Suasanville to Alturas instead of 395. Should keep you in the treeline on the east side our dueling volcanoes Lassen and Shasta instead of the arid high desert plains of 395.
Plus, I'd wager 139 will be more 'vacant' than the 395 enabling you to sustained WOT testing of your recent tune up.

Enjoy the lightly populated remote part of CA with top shelf, fresh tarmac ;-)