Ground Control Group Buy

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I wanted to get away from the other group buy. So here's the deal.
I talked to GC and if you guys want to gather up a group...

Here's what he said
" I'd be happy to offer a "forum" discount, but I don't want to step on anyones toes that have already bought this kit and paid full price.. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

One good argument is that all of our parts are made is the USA. Lifetime warranty on all parts as well. I'm not sure where the other company is sourcing their dampers(we both probably know), but it looks like everything else that's coming from somewhere overseas."

d68f95a2f25b5b241a4f78c7789277c2.jpg

For the guys that purchased sets in the past don't get butt hurt... we could have asked for the same.
Feel free to use this post to get everyone in line.

You won't be disappointed [emoji106]

Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am on board for this. Whether I buy the kit today or tomorrow, I will be using Ground Control so let me be number one as a confirmed group buy candidate. Thank-you Barry for reaching out to Ground Control!

So who else wants a really nice suspension setup for their E9? Sign on up and let's see what deal they can do for us.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry,

i would be interested in this. the two questions that i have (other than price) are
1. what spring rates
2. i see a full front strut in the picture, what has to be done to our struts to do this?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry,

i would be interested in this. the two questions that i have (other than price) are
1. what spring rates
2. i see a full front strut in the picture, what has to be done to our struts to do this?

You have to mail in your strut housings as a core, or pay extra.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does it include top camber plates?

Got a price in mind?

I was thinking the BCRacing setup that DOES include camber plates for $995 incl. shipping (although will need someone local to weld up the housings).

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
At the $2118 full retail price, front camber plates are included, as well as rear adjustable spring height with Eibach springs supplied to your preferred spring rate. I spoke to KW who also need you to send them your front struts for modification and equally there is an outfit on UK doing something similar. I think for the price and quality Ground Control is a great choice as I will be seeking a softer ride but want the height adjustability to get every corner exactly right. While my car will not be slammed, I am particular about having equal fender to wheel gaps so want the coilovers over just lowered springs.

If redoing your suspension and you compare apples with apples, in the scenario of getting lowered springs you would still need decent dampers and say camber plates to get the geometry right, so the cost of the coilover in the big scheme of doing an E9 right is actually not that much more. I think the price we could attain may depend on the number ordered. Late last year Ground Control were doing a sale and the base price of this setup was reduced, but with options added actually came out to more than the base price now. Admittedly last year there was choice of dampers and even the type of top bearing used if I recall correctly as the offering now looks more simple. Again, my use will be for sedate cruising and not a track warrior. If we are south of 2k I am happy.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yea barry like u say
just leave a bit and weld the sleeve
and then the top supports the plastic adjuster.

Last edited:

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I'm not sure if aearch has done a set before, but you don't cut the bottom. You make the cut at the top so you don't lose the correct angle of the tube.

5ab704fed1cbcef0dc73bac2388fa95a.png

I've done a few sets . Here's my M6 track car
3237ebeb8536130bc6c1242b6ffb2d65.png

Remember it's not about being "slammed" it's about balance and ride quality

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since my rear springs had 1/2 a coil cut off, I splurged on the GC rear springs and adapters. I was concerned since the free length of the original springs is 13 and mine were 12 1/2 that these would be too short. They are 8" and 400 pounds and with the mounting adapter barely stretch to 11" on the tallest setting. Well, they fit fine and now I can adjust side to side to get it all correct, they ride nicely too for a firm spring (400 lbs is their street spring).

It took two hours, the hardest part is removing old springs as they need to be compressed quite a bit and the shock has to come off the lower mount, never fun with these. I would think a 9" spring might be a bit better because you would still have plenty of threads to drop it down.

(Barry, no I'm not lowering it any more!). o_O

Reactions: RMP

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
So then to date we have me, bwalvoord and sean-e9... teahead and scott what are your thoughts so far? Are we at 3, 4 or 5 so far? :)

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So then to date we have me, bwalvoord and sean-e9... teahead and scott what are your thoughts so far? Are we at 3, 4 or 5 so far? :)

Sorry, but I got a little over excited when I found a great deal on a pair of used strut housing so I bought them and had them shipped straight to Ground Control.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, but I got a little over excited when I found a great deal on a pair of used strut housing so I bought them and had them shipped straight to Ground Control.

Well, let's see if we can still make this work and maybe work a deal with yours already being there :) I have struts ready to ship too.

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, let's see if we can still make this work and maybe work a deal with yours already being there :) I have struts ready to ship too.

My order number is 1114 hopefully you can work a deal including my order.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have sent an email to the representative I had been dealing with before and referenced that Sean has already sent his struts. Will see what we hear back, but may be delayed given that 4th of July is on Tuesday and many may take Monday off. Fingers crossed for a nice discount. If CATuned can shave 500 off their retail for a group buy of 10 maybe Ground Control have a bit of margin to surrender. Granted CATuned stuff may be coming out of China so the margin is bigger, but there is no harm in having stated that offer to GC to see what they can do! Watch this space and if you are considering a very nice coilover setup, please consider signing up.