Good motorsports/car museums near San Jose?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m going to be in Sunnyvale next week and wanted to take an aging uncle out for some car stuff. Can anyone recommend where to go to see interesting collections of old Motorsport or street European sports cars?

We are going to stop by Canepa (Scotts Valley) because he is a life long Porsche fan. I am interested in other suggestions. Fantasy Junction is a possibility but might be too far to the north for him. He has an old 911, but lacks the eyesight and health to drive it anymore, so I may stray from the E9 flock drive it for him if the distances aren’t too far.

Thanks in advance.

John

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You have two of the ones I would think of up front (Canapa and Fantasy Junction).

There is also Blackhawk in Danville.... https://blackhawkmuseum.org

It is (kind of) similar distance from Sunnyvale - but a bit farther east (off of 680 in Danville).
Truly world class cars...

From there - Maybe others have some additional ideas. Nothing comes to mind from me right now...

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is on the 9th if you want to go for a drive:
Not the 49-Mile Drive-2023, 9 December, 2023-- Save the Date
12/9/2023 9:30 AM
3d 3h 47m 7s

There is also Neue Klass and Kaffee but I don't think it will line up with when you are here. If you're around let the group know. There are 3 or 4 of us that go every few months:

Happy to meet you for a coffee if you're around - maybe a few more in the group would join

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Neue Klass and Kaffee
Thanks for the kind offer. Timing doesn’t work. I’m in SoCal till the 12 then San Jose 13-15th. One full day of work. One entertaining my uncle and then back home to New England.

Might get a chance to hit the Mulllin in Oxnard

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
fancy Italian cars :
Great idea given that I just finished a course on fabricating alloy body panels (repair or custom) which included a light intro to SuperLeggera construction.. Useless for modern supercars made of carbon fiber, but applicable to Italian exotics and race cars up to the mid 1960's.
john

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great idea given that I just finished a course on fabricating alloy body panels (repair or custom) which included a light intro to SuperLeggera construction.. Useless for modern supercars made of carbon fiber, but applicable to Italian exotics and race cars up to the mid 1960's.
john
Call Roberto ahead of time then. He is a super nice and accessible person, also very busy.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once I was guest of a guest at John Mozart's private collection in Mountain View. It is amazing, but I don't know how one gets in. Canepa and FJ are both great to visit. They welcome car fans who are just browsing.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My wife and I had a tour of Canapa's a few years back. Ended up that Bruce himself showed us around... Pretty cool... He had a few good stories as well....

jmackro

Reaction score
Might get a chance to hit the Mulllin in Oxnard
If you have not yet seen the Mullin, then I would highly recommend it. With Peter Mullin's recent death, the long-term prospects for this gem of a museum are uncertain (at least to the general public). The museum also includes furniture and other works of art done by Bugatti family members.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
john
That course sounds fascinating. Tell us more! Where, when, how much? When I retire from medicine, I would like to do something like that. There is an Alfa 1900CSS with Superleggera body at FJ right now. So beautiful. what do they use these days to keep the steel from touching the aluminum? In the day they used wool felt? Is it nylon felt today, or some other material?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
what do they use these days to keep the steel from touching the aluminum?
as you well know, corrosion happens when the two dissimilar bare metals touch. So the key is to have a protective coating on the wire frame or to make the frame out of compatible aluminum alloy rod. This one is the former — steel wire frame which will be painted ( epoxy primer and a durable top coat).

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 22

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alfa 1900CSS
There was a lady there who has an RS60 (and a speedster and a 906, and a …). cool that she wanted to learn what it takes to make a body.

BTW, making a die and stamping body panels in a huge hydraulic press is 30x faster and more efficient, but you need economy of scale to justify the cost of the dies. That’s why you can buy a fender for a Mustang 350GT for $400 (made in China or Vietnam), but it’s 30x for a SWB or 250GTO.