Getrag 265 5-speed donor car for cheap

G-Man

Reaction score
Not mine, no affiliation, etc...

In case you need a 5-speed gearbox for your E3 or E9, here's a cheap donor car.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6009525729.html

US spec 82 528e used the Getrag 265 for one year as a carryover from the 81 E12. Since the 528e had a M20 motor, you have to find a M30 bellhousing to use with this gearbox in your E3 or E9. I would wager that if you showed up with a trailer, made a low ball offer and tell the seller you'll make the car disappear, it would follow you home. Face it, Getrag 265 gearboxes aren't growing on trees and the are getting much harder to find and the going prices for these gearboxes are now over 4 figures on this forum. As a bonus, the original wheels that come with the E28 are probably 14x6 BBS wheels which came on 82 US spec E28 and are the same 14" BBS wheels that came on E24's in the early 80's. From the pics, make sure your rabies and tetanus shots are up to date, I would imagine that some critters would have probably made this car their new home. You'll feel the love from the neighbors when you bring this one home.

G-Man

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't see any wheels, and it makes wonder if the "drive terrain" is some sort of pun :) Aside from that G-Man, you are 100% correct. That's how I got my most recent 265. If someone here grabs this thing, I'd be interested in the driveshaft (assuming it's any good) and some sheetmetal.

Edit: Likely has a 2.93LSD out back too.

eta.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good find! A friend and I just bought one of these '82's last month go r the G265 (for him) and some Weds (for me). I keep my eye out for them, but not in Oklahoma. :)

The flywheel is a one-year 13lb version for the M20. I've read that it will also fit on an S52/4 if you use an M20 starter.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An "E" would have an LSD?...I thought that was the detuned, better mileage 5'er...I am by no means an expert...just trying to learn...

G-Man

Reaction score
Just bear in mind you will not have the mechanical speedo drive with this car.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BMW electronic speedo's started in 83 M30 models with the Getrag 260 gearbox. In 85, BMW went back to the Getrag 265 for one year only due to issues with the Getrag 260 gearbox in E23, E24 & E28 models with M30 motor. BMW just placed a plug where the mechanical speedo drive cable went into the gearbox and still used the electronic speedo drive for 85 models. If you find a 85 E28 535i 5 speed donor car, you have to come up with the speedo gears that go in the gearbox. So be on the lookout for a 85 E23, E24, or E28 5 speed donor car that looks like the one in the original post.

G-Man

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
This car may have the drive components in the trans as a left-over from the e12 chassis, but don't expect it to. No US e28s ever came with a mechanical speedo, including 1982 models.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
out of curiosity, can you remove the plug where the manual speedo could have been ... and drop in the drive from a 4 speed getrag?

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
out of curiosity, can you remove the plug where the manual speedo could have been ... and drop in the drive from a 4 speed getrag?
The part you need is the speedo driver gear that is on the shaft right before the rear seal to the output flange. It may or may not be there, but I'm pretty sure it is. You would have to pull the seal off to see it. If it's there, then yes you can just pull the plug, insert the drive parts and go. I've never pulled a post e12 265 apart to see if the later boxes still included the driving gear after electric speedos were introduced. Be careful though. pull the rear seal before pulling the plug. It's easier to replace the rear seal than it is to replace the destroyed plug if the drive gear is missing in the trans in question.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great advice on the seal. the good news for me is that i already have a 265 with a speedo drive. i was thinking about looking out for people in the future. we know that there is a dwindling supply of these gearboxes ... just trying to see if there was a way to expand the pool.

any of the pros out there know if this idea has any merit? SFDon / Mario

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I remember reading that you can add the gear without breaking open the case if you take the seal and flange off and insert from the end? It's part number 23221490119 and listed as available still (but pricey). The other drive gear and parts that the cable attach to will also fit from a Getrag 4 speed.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No US e28s ever came with a mechanical speedo, including 1982 models.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I just researched this before purchasing a 1982 528e last month. The car is at the salvage yard waiting to for the trans to be pulled. I can definitively confirm in a week or two. In the interim...

Source: www.mye28.com
G-Man said:
82 E28 (528e only that year) came with a getrag 265 gearbox, a carryover from the 81 E12 528i. The bellhousing is different but same gearbox. If you are looking to use the car as a parts car for an auto/4 speed to a 5 speed for your E3/9/12/23/24, & 82 528e. Here is your gearbox. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 82 E28's used a mechanical speedo drive and BMW switched to electronic speed drive.

G-Man

Twelvizm said:
I'm looking for the tranny out of a 1982 528e with an M20 bellhousing, and mechanical speedo drive.

http://forums.pnwfahren.com/showthread.php?1225-My-Bimmer-Bumbling/page12
Twelvism said:
here is the route I've decided on. The Getrag 265/6 transmission from a 1982 528e. It has a bellhousing that mates to the M20, has a mechanical speedo drive

RealOEM:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=4073-USA-05-1982-E28-BMW-528e&diagId=23_0088

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
On a follow up note which might seem obvious, or not. The mechanical speedo drive from a ZF tranny will not work, it has to be a 4 speed Getrag.

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
An "E" would have an LSD?...I thought that was the detuned, better mileage 5'er...I am by no means an expert...
I've owned three '82 528e and each one had the 2.93LSD in it from the factory, which is why I said likely. Two were autos and one was a 5sp. The last 82 which I pulled the 265 from in the yard was also a 2.93LSD. In any event, if someone grabs this car or its parts, further investigation is warranted there. That poor little M20 with 121hp is unlikely to do much damage to the LSD clutches and why I prefer the rears from these cars.

If there's still any confusion, no E28 came with a mechanical speedo and they were all diff-driven electronic. To buzzbomb's point, realoem does show the inclusion of the speedo drive gear in the gearboxes of the '82 265/6 cars. This is not gospel however, and I haven't yet checked mine but I will pull the flange and seal to see. If there, you can pull the blanking plug and stuff the little driveshaft with the cable adapter and assorted bushings and seals in there.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If there's still any confusion, no E28 came with a mechanical speedo and they were all diff-driven electronic. To buzzbomb's point, realoem does show the inclusion of the speedo drive gear in the gearboxes of the '82 265/6 cars. This is not gospel however, and I haven't yet checked mine but I will pull the flange and seal to see. If there, you can pull the blanking plug and stuff the little driveshaft with the cable adapter and assorted bushings and seals in there.

Raising this from the dead to confirm that the 528e that my friend and I picked up indeed had an electronic speedo. It's a weird setup unlike later models, but not manual...