Fuel Hose Replacement

E3_UK

Reaction score
I have replaced all of the engine bay fuel hoses with ethanol resistant ones but for the life of me I can't see how to replace the hose from the steel pipe from the tank into the bay as it is connected to the pipe seemingly up behind the bulkhead. I can see the pipe disappearing up into the bulkhead area from below and the hose from above similarly disappears down behind the bulkhead but there doesn't seem to be any access to where they are connected. It's a RHD car so may differ from stateside models in this respect.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I only know about my e9 lhd, so Indeed yours may be different.
But the diagram that bmw made of it it seems to indicate a similar route:

In my car there is a steel pipe that , on the engine side dives into the corner of firewall/inner fender/frame rails. It then reappears in the wheel well where it bends down, past the side of the frame rails and then again it bends under the floor.

Here's a pic of an e3 that i could find on the forum:
Screenshot_20240407_112035_Samsung Internet.jpg

And it's thread with some moreninfo and partnumbers: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fuel-return-line.28501/

Does this help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_111809_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_111809_Samsung Internet.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thanks but it is just getting to the connection between the flexible and steel line that I'm struggling with, I can't even see where they connect to even have a go at disconnecting and replacing the hose. Presumably it's connected at the factory before anything else is in the engine bay. Also with RHD there are two brake servos making it even more difficult to see what's going on.

stphers

Reaction score
it is a b&**^%h to do and get at in the best of times, it is tucked away in the corner of the firewall and back end of the inner fender Try loosening the steel lines and pulling them down enough to get to the hose

Thanks, Rick

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thanks, I was half heartedly hoping there was a magic answer but I kind of new it was just a pig of a job, maybe for another day !.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Best done from under car, center of engine bay looking towards frame rail
carry stubby screwdriver and 1/4 drive extensions and a flexible hose clamp driver
We replace on every car - loosen clamp, spin hose and pull from above.
dont be afraid to slice with razor blade.

E3_UK

Reaction score
I have looked hard for the connection from underneath but it disappears up into the bulkhead area somewhere. Next time it's on the lift I'll take a closer look.