excuse me, is there any listing of cars produced in certain colors ?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a hard question.

I can shed light on interior colors.

Color #of cars Model Year Owner
Avis red 1 at least. 3.0CS. 1972 Stan

• Haha
Reactions: Dlc

coupesport

Newish Member
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You have seen this -

A piece of what you request.

Christoph

Reaction score
is there anything like that?
Sadly, no. For the E9 some great guys of the Coupé Club have gathered information somewhere on <https://www.bmw-coupeclub.de>. Very likely all they have is about the 3.0 CSL LHD only and in German, still better than nothing.
For the E3 there is no such thing. If it was possible which it is not to run through the works' archive volumes it would take about nine months given a 40 hour week and preparative work at home. Impossible.
Again for the E3 sometimes I try to very roughly estimate numbers based on the E3 Club's car registry. Very unreliable because of small database and lots of distracting variables that cannot be controlled at all.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wonder how many cars retain their original color. Mine was to quote Don, "tomato red" upon purchase but nice surprise when I pulled the dash and found Taiga.
Yep, tomatoes are shipped green and they mature on the way to the shelves...
Did you repaint back to Taiga?

Christoph

Reaction score
Wonder how many cars retain their original color.
More than 90% of all the E3 known to our registry. Sometimes I think on the E9 colours were changed more easily, at least in the past. To be honest, E9 get fully restored much more often than E3, surely a factor. These days most people care about delivery colours because they are the one feature that's documented and can be judged as right or wrong.

Sometimes E3 owners who toy with a colour change write or call for advice. We usually tell them this:
1 - It is their car and therefore their choice.
2 - To do it correctly the whole car has to be dis- and later reassembled.
3 - Rare colours are already rare so would they please not paint over them.
4 - All is fine if they do it for themselves. In case they try to sell the car they must expect to get a lot less money than with the original colour.

Spontaneously, three E3 come to mind that started Taiga and are now Polaris, Atlantik and some sort of anthracite, respectively. One of them was redone in the mid-10s, along with other hideous deviations. Car salespersons probably would call them upgrades. I also know of an originally Pastellblau E3, now Fjord, and one that started Ceylon but ended up Chamonix. On the outside only, engine bay is still golden.