Example of why a nicely painted & presented E9 scares me

maxg765

Reaction score
I know this is not a link to an E9 or even a BMW but it certainly can help paint (no pun intended) a good picture for many considering an E9 purchase. Especially with the inherit nature these cars have to rust from the inside out.

You will need to register for the forum but its free. Its a very interesting thread of a 1960's Ferrari 275GTB and how amazingly things can be covered up with bondo and a good body guy. At first I thought I was looking at a 500K+ example. I urge all to join and go through the whole thread. At least the pictures on each page if you don't wish to spend time reading. I've seen a lot but this one certainly blew my mind.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280041

It is why I have been so scared to buy an E9 to date and why I will most likely be settling on a project as at least I will know what really lies under the shiny paint.

Enjoy,

Max

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Incredible!
I´m sure the forum admins will be quite surprised about all the new registrations (the thread seems to be going round in Porsche-circles as well)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is quite a journey of dicovery. I will look at all Daytonas with suspicion now. What a facelift that car had. I think I will put a Borescope on my tool wish list.

maxg765

Reaction score
original paint

Oh, forgot to mention, I now have a new appreciation for original factory paint.

Max

mr bump

Reaction score
That is unbelivable. If somone had told you about this, you would never had belived them. A great way to take it tho, and a very honest way to show the world that somtimes, all that glitters is not gold!

I wish him all the best luck in the world, he deserves a good bit of luck.

2800csm5

Reaction score
That's why when I was restoring my two coupes, the only sheet metal that was not
replaces with new galvanized sheet metal was the roof and firewall. All new fenders
(inner and outer) all six peaces of rocker panels, completely new floor pan etc,etc
you get the picture. Thankfully all parts were bought during the 80's when the prices
were still reasonable and stored until six years ago when restoration started.