Engine bonnet issue

SicilianE9

Reaction score
After a year of storage, i am getting the car ready for the bi anual german TÜV test and next to replacing the fuel lines and other details, i noticed that my front bonnet is starting to rust from the inside. As that part is still an old one that was not changed during the restoration in 94 i am considering a new one. I have not seen one offered at bmw classic shop ot walloth nesch. Any sources you would advise me?
Is an aluminium bonnet to be found?
What is your opinion?
Best regards
Luc
IMG_4360.JPG

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An aluminum bonnet will run you in excess of $10,000 USD IF you can find one.

Best to strip the hood down to bare metal, repair rust epoxy prime and repaint. It is the least expensive option.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is there an outfit near you where you can get the bonnet (ha! Hood in my parts) acid/caustic dipped?

SicilianE9

Reaction score
Is there an outfit near you where you can get the bonnet (ha! Hood in my parts) acid/caustic dipped?
I am checking all the options around me, thanks for the suggestion, i noticed earlier brown dust falling from the hood inner reinforcements( right english, this time ;-) ) so i want to handle now

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
First, are you sure it's rust and not old adhesive
Which was used between the inner/outer skin?

Second, the best way to remove rust is to remove the skin, clean and pain hen reassemble.

Good luck.

SicilianE9

Reaction score
First, are you sure it's rust and not old adhesive
Which was used between the inner/outer skin?

Second, the best way to remove rust is to remove the skin, clean and pain hen reassemble.

Good luck.
I was sure to have discovered rust but i will check further, , i will anyway disasemble and check the condition of the parts. Thank you

lloyd

Reaction score
After a year of storage, i am getting the car ready for the bi anual german TÜV test and next to replacing the fuel lines and other details, i noticed that my front bonnet is starting to rust from the inside. As that part is still an old one that was not changed during the restoration in 94 i am considering a new one. I have not seen one offered at bmw classic shop ot walloth nesch. Any sources you would advise me?
Is an aluminium bonnet to be found?
What is your opinion?
Best regards
LucView attachment 24721

Another possibility that may be worth exploring is a carbon fiber hood. http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/carbon-fiber-hood.23926/

Robert A

Reaction score
I had mine sanded and the seams sand blasted, then sealed. Two years and still nice. Good luck and nice car.

SicilianE9

Reaction score

SicilianE9

Reaction score
I had mine sanded and the seams sand blasted, then sealed. Two years and still nice. Good luck and nice car.
Looking at it in detail looks like more will be needed in the bonnet reinforcement, they seem quite advanced in the rusting process unfortunately, i will keep updating as soon as it is taken apart
Thank you for your kind words
Best regards

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
back in the same time period, in fiberglass racing sailboats (flying dutchman), there was a lot of experimentation with a full balsa core on the deck (around the mast) and in the hull to add stiffness without adding much weight. the difference in boat speed was quite significant compared to the older boats with the same hull shape by the same manufacturer. my point is, the problem with fiberglass is that getting and keeping a true outer surface of that large of a piece is tough ... especially with the wind forces it takes.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking at it in detail looks like more will be needed in the bonnet reinforcement, they seem quite advanced in the rusting process unfortunately, i will keep updating as soon as it is taken apart
Thank you for your kind words
Best regards
A good metal man can remove the outer skin, replace any rusted areas aAlong the fold-over of the skin and in the inner structur, and then put it back together. Seen it done numerous times. Not always much more then the cost of a new panel.

Good luck