Electrical switch availability problems

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Went over to the dealer today and ordered some parts. Unfortunately the switches for the power windows and also the turn signal switch that mounts the directionals on the left side of the column are no longer available new. Does anyone make reproductions :confused: or are there any later model switches (that are still available) that can be retrofitted to our coupes :confused: ? Many thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ebay and the usual sources on this board will have them - they're available. For wndows there are 2 kinds, the early ones with no notches on the plastic rocker, and later ones with grooves in the rocker. If you need only 2 you can swap the ones from the rear seats for up front as a short term fix.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Went over to the dealer today and ordered some parts. Unfortunately the switches for the power windows and also the turn signal switch that mounts the directionals on the left side of the column are no longer available new. Does anyone make reproductions :confused: or are there any later model switches (that are still available) that can be retrofitted to our coupes :confused: ? Many thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

have you checked ?

walloth&nesch (i bought the power window switches from them)
jaymic (i bought the turn signal switch from them)

true, i did this many months ago !

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only switches I see on eBay are the early spade terminal with raised center ridge as Steve described, never the round terminal variety that was introduced in early 1973. And John apparently wants to convert to the `74 and later left side turn signal switch/high beam selector.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Chris, my car is #2250076 (more on that later). I just checked and I have the early spade type terminals so I will order the Auto Haus switches tomorrow --- thank you. Actually the early directional switch is available and I think all I did was flip the switches from side to side on my 72 Bavaria ??? Could that be correct ? Hard to remember what I did some 30 years ago and even what I did last week. What would be the advantage of using the later switch if I can source one ?

I went to the dealer today with the serial number for the first time. It comes up on the computer that my car is a E30. The kid calls BMW - USA and they still say it’s an E30 number ! Now I’m thinking I bought a stolen car – YIKES. I fly home with crazy thoughts and check my Texas title – still 2250076. Still thinking hot car and I remember the registry. Check that and I’m OK, just another computer glitch – I guess. The dealer needs my number to get me copies of the keys ---- so now what ? What a tense day :mad::mad::mad:. Many thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. the weather is starting to warm up here on the island and I think I’m getting the BMW itch, I guess that can’t be helped after going 30 years without one ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All our VIN numbers come up as newer models in dealer's computers - not to worry. You'll have to go by year and model with them, not VIN

Chris, my car is #2250076 (more on that later). I just checked and I have the early spade type terminals so I will order the Auto Haus switches tomorrow --- thank you. Actually the early directional switch is available and I think all I did was flip the switches from side to side on my 72 Bavaria ??? Could that be correct ? Hard to remember what I did some 30 years ago and even what I did last week. What would be the advantage of using the later switch if I can source one ?

I went to the dealer today with the serial number for the first time. It comes up on the computer that my car is a E30. The kid calls BMW - USA and they still say it’s an E30 number ! Now I’m thinking I bought a stolen car – YIKES. I fly home with crazy thoughts and check my Texas title – still 2250076. Still thinking hot car and I remember the registry. Check that and I’m OK, just another computer glitch – I guess. The dealer needs my number to get me copies of the keys ---- so now what ? What a tense day :mad::mad::mad:. Many thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. the weather is starting to warm up here on the island and I think I’m getting the BMW itch, I guess that can’t be helped after going 30 years without one ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dealer can use the seven digit VIN, find another dealer or find the manager. You don't have any keys? Blanks are available, the door and trunk locks can be rekeyed to a new combo but hard to find places to do this. No advantage of the later switch, don't think it will work with your `72 anyway. Good luck. Enter your coupe in the Registry.

Chris

JhwShark

Reaction score
I had a dealer on the peninsula tell me they needed the VIN and production date, even if old to make a key. He indicated that they, in Germany, had a reference with key code in a file (probably paper since the conversation was early 90's). I found my spare and never ordered one.

Maybe they still have that file...

There is a place in AU that can make them from scanned image.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I ordered 4 window switches from AutoHausAZ today and ordered the early directional switch from the dealer. I’m holding off on the keys momentarily because I’m thinking I might be switch the pins around in the steering lock from the Bavaria parts car so it will match the door & trunk key. My car must have had the ignigtion / steering lock changed at one point because it’s different from the doors & trunk key. Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction once again :-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch