Does anyone know how much refrigerant the AC takes in the 1974?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting my Freon recharged and there is no clear information on how much Freon we need to replace. I am at the store now so if someone knows the answer please reply. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Getting my Freon recharged and there is no clear information on how much Freon we need to replace. I am at the store now so if someone knows the answer please reply. Thank you

e59c3ae5a8f54f90e6bb2573cbdb389e.jpg

2.64 pounds, maybe?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Of course, that is with original compressor, condenser, hoses etc. IF any parts have been replaced, you'll be best using the gauges for the high and low side pressures.

Gary

Bwana

Reaction score
And, if he's at the store, it's probably been converted to R-134 and not the original R-12. Better check.

Anyone know the going rate for R-12 these days?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most R-12 cans (12-14 oz) I see go for something in the range of $25-35. See if you can find a partially filled 30 lb canister of it (be sure it spurts out cold stuff before you buy, I had a friend who bought a full canister for ~$500 off craigslist that was filled with water!!), I bought one of these with about 15 lbs of refrigerant a couple of years ago for $80. Used it to fill my rebuilt system using the three hose system with two gauges. Still have a lot left. The e9 is now the only car I have with R-12.

I have a friend in Dallas TX with an automobile parts business (primarily Porsche, MB and BMW) who may have access to a source outside the US. Contact me if you want/need a contact with him.

Gary-

PS: I contacted him about some parts I need for my BMW e31, and he confirmed he has the R-12, currently $35 per can.

Last edited: