Do US cars have the same headlights as Euros?

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So, if I get it correctly, a flat unit (ok, very slightly curved), H1 and H4 would be correct for a European version. Did I understand correctly?

Was there a particular brand fitted from the factory? Hella? Bosch?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So, if I get it correctly, a flat unit (ok, very slightly curved), H1 and H4 would be correct for a European version. Did I understand correctly?

Was there a particular brand fitted from the factory? Hella? Bosch?

Thanks again,
victor

I think Euro is H1 only.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your euro coupe has the city light parking light in the low beam unit then you use four H1 lamps. In the US the low beam is H4 (two filaments) and high beam is H1.

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
If your euro coupe has the city light parking light in the low beam unit then you use four H1 lamps. In the US the low beam is H4 (two filaments) and high beam is H1.

Thanks Chris! Pretty clear now.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris! Pretty clear now.

Okay not that this is all cleared up, I will muddy he waters. :D

Upgrade euro-spec H4 lenses. It is the euro lens pattern that makes the difference, and the abundance of high wattage replacement H4 bulbs. These reflectors also have the provision for a city light, and will have a nice spread and increased lighting on the road. Crisp cutoffs, etc. An H4 bulb is a dual filament hi/low. I always ran 55/100's in my H4 lenses. That's 55 low so people don't flash you, and 100 high instead of the standard 60w. You can also run 80/100's but I always thought that was a bit much for traffic. The biggest issue I see with these (as Chris pointed out) is that they stick out quite a bit past the housing ring. I honestly don't think they will work properly with my headlight wipers since the stops are attached to the rings. :(

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-5-3-4-round-h4-e-code-headlamp-with-city-light-hl66021.html

That leaves you with the inners. Since the H4's have high beams, run some Hella Comet 500 spotlights in the inners.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-Unive...Fog-Driving-light-1N4135224-011-/151623321040

These are the same 5 3/4" pencil beams that were on my VW. I ran switched power to them so they would come on with the 7" H4's when desired. 130w H3's. I drove a lot at night and they were like aircraft landing lights. Far too ridiculous near houses and honestly a little intense with reflective road signs.
4784072411_7c0a0885e2_z.jpg

restart

Reaction score
Yes, interesting, fwiw, those lights pictured have the M and are designated motorcycle lights.

Isn't SAE M a motorcycle light? I think technically they aren't approved for automotive use (but I sure see them marketed that way a lot).

I stand corrected. They are DOT approved H4 sealed beams. I've never seen such a thing. My apologies for doubting you Chris!

FYI - They also have a very slight curve to them. Nothing like the bulbous sealed beams on my donor car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, interesting, fwiw, those lights pictured have the M and are designated motorcycle lights.

Yeah I see. Fortunately I have never driven my project car at night. ;) I'm still wrapping my head around H4 sealed beams...

restart

Reaction score
Yeah I see. Fortunately I have never driven my project car at night. ;) I'm still wrapping my head around H4 sealed beams...
I doubt it matters if the lights are aimed. I am about to do that on my fleet. They are all out of whack.
Is the general spec 3inches up and to the right at 25 feet In relation to centre of headlight?