Dallas: 1974 BMW 3.0CS

BradIXXI

Reaction score
I bought this Coupe back in 1999 in Ft.Worth, Texas from a used car dealer. He said he had had it for about a month and that he ha obtained it from a doctors estate when the children sold it to him. That is all the past history I know about it. I drove it as my daily driver in Dallas from 1999 to 2004 when I bought my brothers 2002 Z71 Suburban. It sat outside my house for abo
IMG_0955_zps5vocyzfl.jpg.html
ut a year then I took it to my other brothers hangar and a small airport in Lancaster, Texas (just south of Dallas). It has been sitting there since. I pulled it out of his hangar yesterday and pulled it over to mine. I did start to wash it but then stopped thinking if the new owner wants it in its "Hangar Kept" condition then I should offer it like this first.

From looking at all the for sell E9's out there and the ones that have already sold, I would say my cars worth is in the $15,000USD range. Should I get an appraiser to come look at it and set a price?

I am listing it here first because I know this is where the real E9 lovers are, and I would like her to go to a good home. So it is not being cross listed anywhere.

I am at the hangar most weekends, I'm heading there as soon as I finish this, so feel free to text any questions you might have. The first $15,000USD will buy her but other offers will have to be considered.

Kindest Regards,

Brad
(214) 543-9239

PS: Thank you to everyone for helping me get the price right on my car!!

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/StealthString/media/IMG_0956_zpswpk7ru7a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/StealthString/media/IMG_0970_zps9rgoxenk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The pictures aren't loading. I tried to fix but photobucket is terrible.

BTW, The resident E9 expert is in Austin today. Perhaps he wants to subsidize his trip and run through your car.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
No engine pictures? Needs under carriage pics, engine pics, rocker pics, closer pics of the fenders, etc.

Interior is pretty rough. I dunno, just from what I'm seeing, and it's a '74 (subtract $1500 for the huge bumpers that would need replacing), I see maximum $15k.

BradIXXI

Reaction score
The pictures aren't loading. I tried to fix but photobucket is terrible.

BTW, The resident E9 expert is in Austin today. Perhaps he wants to subsidize his trip and run through your car.
That would be great. Please let him know my phone number.

BradIXXI

Reaction score
No engine pictures? Needs under carriage pics, engine pics, rocker pics, closer pics of the fenders, etc.

Interior is pretty rough. I dunno, just from what I'm seeing, and it's a '74 (subtract $1500 for the huge bumpers that would need replacing), I see maximum $15k.
Interior has the "patina of a by-gone era" for sure. When I got the car in '99 the sheep skin covers were there because the blue leather underneath was cracking and coming apart. I would imagine any original upholstery for '74 would have to be re-upholstered. Engine pics coming up, i'll take them tomorrow while I'm there. It is all original under the hood though. How would suggest I take a picture of the undercarriage? My car sits pretty low to the ground. I'll do my best tomorrow but would like some suggestions.
Subtract $1,500 for the '74 front bumper? Do you realize how massive this thing is? You could build bridges with this thing (it would make an ugly bridge also). Haha....
You see maximum of $15,000? I have seen what's out there for sale and I have seen what has sold recently and for how much, and I know my car, I would put up against any that have sold in the past six months for $26,000 to $23,000.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think 15-17k is what I see in this car but if it were mine would equally ask for more! :) Seeing through the windows the interior looks aged and with the condition of the exterior also needs reconditioning and ideally the removal of the US bumpers. When I consider the cars that went this year for 25-30k that were very nice drivers, I don't think you could limit spending on this example to 10k to get to the standard of the cars that went for 30k and below. A one-owner 1972 in similar condition went for about 15k if I recall correctly. Good luck with the sale!

BradIXXI

Reaction score
I think 15-17k is what I see in this car but if it were mine would equally ask for more! :) Seeing through the windows the interior looks aged and with the condition of the exterior also needs reconditioning and ideally the removal of the US bumpers. When I consider the cars that went this year for 25-30k that were very nice drivers, I don't think you could limit spending on this example to 10k to get to the standard of the cars that went for 30k and below. A one-owner 1972 in similar condition went for about 15k if I recall correctly. Good luck with the sale!
Thank you for your insight and help understanding what my car is worth. That is why I am here, trying to gain knowledge from the people that truly know these cars.

BradIXXI

Reaction score
I have another question if y'all don't mind. Should I clean the car up, wash, buff out the paint, blow out the old gas put in a new battery and get it running? Or would it still be a $15k-$17k car?
I was told not to clean it, as the dust and all that has built up over time adds to the legitimacy of the car. True or load of crap?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have another question if y'all don't mind. Should I clean the car up, wash, buff out the paint, blow out the old gas put in a new battery and get it running? Or would it still be a $15k-$17k car?
I was told not to clean it, as the dust and all that has built up over time adds to the legitimacy of the car. True or load of crap?

I would clean it up and try to get it running, that way it is easier for a buyer to see and understand what he is buying, it's hard to say if it still would be a $15k-$17k car, it all depends on what reveals after cleaning it up and getting it running. But then again, I'm sure there are others out there that like to buy cars with a thick layer of dust for some reason I can't understand.

Last edited:

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes give it a good clean and polish. Actually your car has one of the more desirable colours, so that is a certainly a good selling point I would say.
Interior though needs plenty of TLC.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any e9 buyer is going to want to know what's under the hangar dust and fenders/rockers so I don't see the barn find look as a selling point. If it were a Gullwing, then maybe. The cost of metal work is very high on e9's so said buyer will want to know that before even taking the interior into account which also appears to need some $$$. Metal work and interior work add up quickly. For top dollar I would get it running, clean it up, and get it on a lift for some pics. Also take pics of the tops of the front fenders in the engine compartment. See the diagram of rust spots and take pics there too:

diagram-main.jpg

BradIXXI

Reaction score
Thank you all, great information. I am headed to my hangar now and will start cleaning my girl up so y'all can see her like I do.
I will get pictures focusing on the areas in Stevehose's very cool graphic. If there is anything else please let me know and I will check this thread before I leave the airport today.
Kindest Regards and Happy New Year to you all!!

jefftepper

Reaction score
Remember asking prices and selling prices can be very far apart. Take a look at the cars that have actually sold recently to get a sense of actual transaction prices. Note further that there are several nice cars that have been offered for sale by members here over the past several months that have either not sold, or have sold at a price below what similar cars sold for a year ago. The general consensus seems to be that the market has softened for these cars.

Whatever price point you think suits your car, take a look at what those dollars buy elsewhere (scope out your competition) to calibrate your sales strategy to position your car where it needs to be to sell. For example, if your car in done shape would sell all day long at $50K and it needs $35K to get it to that condition, a savvy shopper will be looking to acquire it for no more than $15K. Lastly, many folks are looking for a bargain, especially if they see themselves turning wrenches on this project for the next two years. If you are in no rush to sell, time may be on your side. Whatever you decide, good luck with the sale.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, feel free to post your comparables here. If they are listed for sale we can generally tell you how long they have been listed. We follow most private sales here plus many of those listed on hemmings or BHCC.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that a "barn find" look is does not add desirability over a clean, honest looking car. By honest I mean no dust hiding the quality of the paint. Running order is another plus. Finally, if you are not pressed to sell, wait until May.