Cooling system/radiator suggestions?

druckpress

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just finished the megasquirt install on a b35 with a hot cam in my e9. We used a stock radiator and it is just not doing the job. I am considering an Ireland Engineering radiator because I have heard good things but would really appreciate anyone's perspective on that one or others that are good.

I am also considering an oil cooler & aux fan just to be on the safe side and do it all in one fell swoop.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Eric

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eric,

I got your message and will call in a bit. I don't think the radiator size is the issue. I think you may have a combination of issues.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I redid my condensor, I installed a spal pusher fan in front of it, and wired it to come on either when the a/c is on, or when the coolant temp hits 85 degress C.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just for kicks, google Ron Davis Radiators here in Phoenix. You will see what $900 for a radiator will bring. The point of interest is they are only single row. His thing is he uses 1" oval tubes that move water faster and cool better. I know of one E28 guy using one here. He tracks his car and he says it never goes over 1/2 even in our 100 degree weather with a/c. I don't know how it will do tomorrow as it is supposed to be at least 110..UGH, the benefits of low cost living!!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have one of these in my E28 M5. I think the E24 version could work in the E9.
https://wizardcooling.com/german/bmw/ $550.

I live in Atlanta with 95 days pretty common. I can drive my black M5 with a heavly tweaked engine with the AC on and never have a overheating problem.
Also running the stock electric fan that comes on when the AC turns on.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Their website is a bit confusing. They say their radiator will fit an 80-88 E24. The product info says 83-88. The e24s through model year 82 were E12 based and the later ones E28 based. So, I don't know if there is a difference in fitment but I am wondering if they could have a mix up?? Also nice to know I can buy that radiator for $400 less than Ron Davis.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Their website is a bit confusing. They say their radiator will fit an 80-88 E24. The product info says 83-88. The e24s through model year 82 were E12 based and the later ones E28 based. So, I don't know if there is a difference in fitment but I am wondering if they could have a mix up?? Also nice to know I can buy that radiator for $400 less than Ron Davis.
Yeah Bert it is a little confusing.
You could always call and ask some questions.
I think there is a drawing available from them that give all the specs. You could compare that to your original radiator.
They are very well made.
Gary

shanon

Reaction score
Agree that it could be a combo of things.

Search site for 'Arctic Wind'....solution has handled triple digit NorCal temps for years now.

Hth!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Jahan -- I used a generic condensor, which I think I got from Nostalgicairparts.com. Many folks here stayed with 16 x 18 or went up to 16 x 20. I managed to cram a larger one in my car; I think it was a 16 x 22. Basically, if you have the front of the car open, measure the mounting frame and get the largest condensor you can mount.

I stayed with R12, but had to buy a condensor with R134 fittings. This meant getting custom hoses made up. I tried making my own hoses. One of them exploded when I had the car filled for the first time.

druckpress

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. Mike Burger gave me a call and was very helpful. Checking the thermostat first and putting a heat gun to the radiator to make sure it's consistent. More to come!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, as RJRuiz says, if you are messing around with that part of the car, the Spal pusher fans are the way to go. They are so much more efficient that that dinky fan that came with our cars. The only downside is that they can be noisy.

RJRuiz

Reaction score
My setup has the fans in puller configuration, never hear them operating. I have an LED indicator mounted underdash to confirm when working. One of my reasons for converting from mechanical fan was how noisy the 9 blade fan was-

Ray

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Ray -- I misread your post. I thought you had replaced the fan in front of the condensor (which needs to be a pusher), rather than the main fan cooling the engine. I have not gone to an electric engine fan setup in my e9 (not sure why; I did this in my e39).

RJRuiz

Reaction score
I should have been clearer; I have a pusher electric in front of the condenser and twin 12" pullers behind the radiator- really works well.

Ray