Center Console Gauges

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
toggle switch for radar detector ... just made me remember riding in Harmon Fischer's pumpkin '73 2002. he had a plate below his gear shift know (on the rod) that had a few toggle switches - 4 if i remember correctly (might have been 2). 1 operated the radar detector, another controlled the air horns ... not sure what the other ones did

Dohn

Reaction score
toggle switch for radar detector ... just made me remember riding in Harmon Fischer's pumpkin '73 2002. he had a plate below his gear shift know (on the rod) that had a few toggle switches - 4 if i remember correctly (might have been 2). 1 operated the radar detector, another controlled the air horns ... not sure what the other ones did

Would that be the famous 2002F?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I remember seeing him bomb around New Orleans in that car.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep ... that would be the creator the infamous 2002F rumor. great guy, i used to occasionally rally with Harmon. yes Steve, he rarely drove slowly. at some point he got an e30 m3 ... he lived right off of I10 in Metarie (NOLA side of Causeway Blvd / river side of i10)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brockenbraugh St.
i don't remember the street, but that might be right ... seems like the number was 422. i know you exited at Bonnabel - either 4 or 5 blocks away (think it was NOLA side - not positive ... its been 35 years) - 2 houses off of the service road (northern side) ... i probably have it on a box in the garage that he sent one of my rally computers back to me after an o'fest ... each year for about 5 or so years i would send him a rally computer and he would send it back.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thats it

i don't remember the street, but that might be right ... seems like the number was 422. i know you exited at Bonnabel - either 4 or 5 blocks away (think it was NOLA side - not positive ... its been 35 years) - 2 houses off of the service road (northern side) ... i probably have it on a box in the garage that he sent one of my rally computers back to me after an o'fest ... each year for about 5 or so years i would send him a rally computer and he would send it back.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there were some good old days back in bayou chapter - a lot of 2002's + 320i's sold by OE Haring. not a lot of coupes ... a few early e24's (late 70's)
sorry for the walk to memory lane ... but ... now we can return to normally scheduled thread postings

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
there were some good old days back in bayou chapter - a lot of 2002's + 320i's sold by OE Haring. not a lot of coupes ... a few early e24's (late 70's)
sorry for the walk to memory lane ... but ... now we can return to normally scheduled thread postings

I love hearing these stories!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to radar detector switches, here is a picture of the interior of my 540. The red switch to the left of the light switch is a switch for the laser jammer. And toward to bottom of the picture, you can see that I replaced the ashtray with a V1 control unit. The on/off switch for the V1 is actually incorporated into the little cubby behind the ashtray.

Because radar detectors are illegal in VA, I hollowed out the center rear headrest and put the V1 in there.

Driving School 085.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Scott -- I've never encountered one, and I suspect that they haven't spent the money for enforcement equipment that will have a very low rate of return.

As to the typo question: No, the 6 speed was only offered on the sport version of the 540, so a 540i6 is a sport version of the 540 (sport suspension, steering wheel, seats, shadowline trim, etc.) with the manual transmission. And since you are into these cars, you can see the European dash board conversion in that picture too.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, just out of curiosity, on those later cars (2000 5er) did they use real wood veneer or was that some kind of decal/painting/whatever?

I see a lot of curved surfaces which would be tough to do with veneers.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a lot of cars have a special printed finish on metal w/ no wood involved. a lot of high end cars.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a lot of cars have a special printed finish on metal w/ no wood involved. a lot of high end cars.

Thanks Scott.
Very disappointing IMHO. To me, there is never an excuse to make something look like something it is not. One might argue that even wood veneer is already a deception but at least both the face and the backing are real wood.

OK, hijacking in progress here. Sorry about that.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while i totally agree with you Bo, the dimensional stability of solid wood in the car environment - especially any car built by karmann is a huge ask. wood has a natural grain and will naturally tend to twist when cut into a shape, especially a long rectangle. plywood is much more stable because of the ply laid in different directions. the downside of the veneer finish is that its thin, but with all the glue between layers it stays more stable ... but it is still in danger of what water / moisture will do to it ... and all wood products will fade under UV light.

since the car manufacturers are all about avoiding repair issues ... eliminating wood is an easy decision.