Brass coolant tank

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all,
Being a fan of the brass coolant tanks as opposed to the plastic ones, here’s one in v.good shape on eBay, I thought some one might be looking for.

Keshav
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BEHR-Ausgleichsbehalter-BMW-E9-3-0-CSI-CSL-2800CS-E3-3-3-Coolant-Expansion-Tank/263927092038?fits=Make:BMW|Platform:E9&hash=item3d7347d346:g:844AAOSwfxFblUHQ
I along with a few other brass coolant tanks have had them stripped of their paint and run them in the nude. Steve Hose recommended a polish that we apply regularly to keep the shine and luster. An acquired taste for sure.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I along with a few other brass coolant tanks have had them stripped of their paint and run them in the nude. Steve Hose recommended a polish that we apply regularly to keep the shine and luster. An acquired taste for sure.

Right, they do look real cool in the polished look too. The brass tanks look period correct and more ‘classy’ than the plastic ones, apart from the fact that majority of the cars had them upon delivery.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I picked up a brass tank and plan on "back dating" my '73 and running the brass tank in lieu of the plastic one. I love the look of the polished brass a la @Stevehose . I'm struggling with the whole "original ones were black" concept. But there is enough that is non-original under my hood that I think the polished brass can't take more away. Plus it will put a smile on my face. :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
07F55404-3B67-4126-A8BD-748E7CA25176.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do indeed like the unpainted look, but mine's not mirror polished, just kept from tarnishing with occasional polish and wine, as a result it has a warm golden patina to it, you don't need sunglasses to look at it :cool:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do indeed like the unpainted look, but mine's not mirror polished, just kept from tarnishing with occasional polish and wine, as a result it has a warm golden patina to it, you don't need sunglasses to look at it :cool:
I didn't realize it was the wine that gives it the warm patina. I'll have to try that. :D

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I picked up a brass tank and plan on "back dating" my '73 and running the brass tank in lieu of the plastic one. I love the look of the polished brass a la @Stevehose . I'm struggling with the whole "original ones were black" concept. But there is enough that is non-original under my hood that I think the polished brass can't take more away. Plus it will put a smile on my face. :)

Stephen, your 73 originally came with a brass tank.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought that stopped after '72. Is there a reason why a PO would have changed it to a plastic tank? Convenience of seeing the level without opening the cap?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brass tanks ran through 74. Most were replaced because they leak at the seams.

Rich
The more I think about this, the more I am surprised that leaking in the brass tanks would have been so prevalent. The radiator is essentially two brass tanks on either end and they aren't as prone to leaking. But then again, new rads are plastic tanked, too. It reminds me of the quote from the movie "The Graduate":
plastics.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I am surprised that leaking in the brass tanks would have been so prevalent. The radiator is essentially two brass tanks on either end and they aren't as prone to leaking. But then again, new rads are plastic tanked, too. It reminds me of the quote from the movie "The Graduate":
View attachment 51414
Stephen, it's most certainly the wine. And if you don't like the look after a few months and more bottles, it's an easy paint job back to original.

No regrets here.
Steve

Wladek

Reaction score
As for me polished tank is ok, but the truth is - it never be 100% perfect, because of fabric grey solder/sealer.
On mine bead blasted one you can see what i am talking about;)

Anybody know - what kind of solder was originally used & what temperature of melting it have?

p.s. i know that in mine tank one bracket is missing
20180911_143306.jpg
20180911_143301.jpg
20180911_143252.jpg