Brake pads recs

AbnMike

Reaction score
I've put a couple thousand kilometers on Gordon's old 2800 and I now have a nagging brake squeal. I have bled all four corners and the clutch and have good pedal feel and feedback so I know it's time for some pads.

Anyone have a good recommendation? I want to do front and rears at the same time. When I bled the brakes the rotors weren't gouged.

Thanks. I searched and saw some in the E9 forums but want to ensure I have absolutely specific to the E3.

AbnMike

Reaction score
Thanks. I just checked their site and for ordering they list pads only for the front, and say to check shoes for the rear. My rear has pads as it has disks so I guess a call is in order.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
I've had Ferodo brake pads on all my recent E3 for some years (since 2005) and they are excellent. Both the OEM like ones as well as the DS2500 and DS3000 (for track use) are the best ones, if you ask me that is ;-) A lot of bang for the bucks and the stopping power and feel are perfect!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I still use MetalMasters, used to be branded Repco.

The compound is available still with a little searching as "PBR MetalMaster Plus"

p/n for metal master plus rears is D293M for all 69-82 big 6's (E3 E9 E12 E24)

takes a little scrounging around but I have good luck with places like eBay or Rock Auto

a later pbr name for the metalmaster compound is "XBG low semi-met"

(I do have a stash of rears for big 6's if you get jammed up feel free to send me a pm or e-mail)

mosearch

Reaction score
I'll just add to this post; rather than starting a brand new one...
I recently picked up front brake pads from Rock Auto; allegedly correct to fit my 1972 e3, which has what I believe to be typical Ate calipers.
The basic foot-print is correct; but the actual thickness of the pads is just a bit excessive.
Going through the fine print in my Factory Blue Book. I see there are later versions cars with ventilated rotors; so maybe that's what these 19mm versions fit...but I am going to have to find pads closer to 15mm.
Maybe you all know more about this issue?
If I can't get a thinner pad at my Local Parts Store I'll give Jim a call at Mesa.
Wagner paD.jpg

mosearch

Reaction score
OP.pad.jpg
Turns out there is a thickness difference in the same "format" ...and Hawk even offers their HB206 pad both versions : a .565" and a .700" (14.3mm and 17.8mm respectively).
My calipers require the thinner version. Your results may vary.
It also appears that some Ferraris, Lambos, and Maseratis also used this caliper architecture.
For now I am going with a pretty tame "OP Parts" pad set...but will upgrade to the Hawks or PBR Metal Masters at some future point.

Note: Pads appear different size in this photo only due to foreshortening of crappy iPhone lens technology; they are actually identical in overall size (different notch in the thicker; I presume to fit another caliper variant).

Hawk; http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/hp-plus-565-thick.html

Last edited:

mosearch

Reaction score
Could be, I guess...but my calipers do not have any spacer plates...and I had the impression they are only used when vented discs are used. As the bolts are not long enough for spacers; and I'm running solid rotors...I'd guess I'm limited to the +/- 15mm pads.