Blinker Cancellation

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi All - seeking some help here. While test fitting the hub for my new and very lovely Nardi steering wheel, I accidentally pulled off the brass ring that cancels the blinkers (it stuck to the bottom of the Nardi hub). Because I had not been planning to remove this baby, I had not paid any attention to its orientation. I appear to have replaced it incorrectly as my blinkers do not cancel.

The item in question is a brass ring that surrounds the steering column. It installs past and over the splines that hold the hub and sits inside the horn ring. It has a tab that extends outward and in toward the dash that covers about 20 degrees of the 360 degree sweep. When the blinker is activated in either direction, a switch tab protrudes from the blinker switch into the sweep of the tab on the brass ring. As the steering wheel turns, the tab on the brass ring contacts the switch tab, causing the switch tab to release and switching off the blinker. Because this mechanism operates in either direction, I speculated that the tab on the brass ring should be oriented 180 degrees from the switch tab. My thought was that this orientation should enable the brass ring tab to operate precisely the same way in either direction.

This does not appear to work, and I do not have any diagrams illustrating the orientation of the switch cancellation ring.

Can anyone help?

jmackro

Reaction score
I speculated that the tab on the brass ring should be oriented 180 degrees from the switch tab.

Yes, that is correct.

This does not appear to work

Please define "not appear to work". Do you mean that no amount of cranking the wheel around will cancel the signals? If so, the issue isn't where the tab is oriented relative to the lever; it's that the diameter of the circle traced out by the tab is too large to hit the cancelling trigger. Or that the tab is positioned too high on the column to connect with the trigger.

Try placing the cancelling ring on the column without the wheel installed, and see if it connects with the cancelling trigger with the TS switched on. If it doesn't, try bending the tab inward or downward a bit.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok, good. So my thought process was correct, but perhaps my execution was faulty. It sounds like the path of the sweep does not intersect the switch tab. Will check that and report back.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As Steve stated, it MUST be at 3:00. It only moves a small amount to trigger the switch. Your switch is at 3:00 as well on the right side.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris -- Thanks for jumping in. I misunderstood the prior post. My blinker is on the right, so the blinker tab is at 3:00. I have installed the brass ring tab on the opposite side - 180 degrees away at 9:00.

Time to do it over again.