Beep!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I acquired this steering wheel from a 2800 CS and will try to restore it.
I am removing the old chipped varnish and plans to fill the cracks in the steering wheel spoke with something like JB Weld then sand and paint.
I am looking for the horn buttons that have the brushed metal to replace the black ones. If anyone has these I would like to see if you would sell them to me.

jmackro

Reaction score
Hi Stan!

You might want to knock off the six trim pieces that glue to the black plastic spokes where they join to the wood rim. Otherwise you will mar them as you sand the wood. The old adhesive has a way of failing in use, so they will be more secure after you epoxy them back on when your restoration is complete.

Eastwood sells a putty specifically for filling cracks in plastic steering wheels. Dunno why it's better than JB Weld - probably easier to sand. See: http://www.eastwood.com/complete-steering-wheel-restoration-kit-26116.html

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will try to knock off those trim bits. They are on pretty firm which is not usually the case.
Thanks fro the tip from Eastwood. I will order some of that!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
definitely dont use jb weld - impossible to sand to the level you'll want for this. For varnish I used a high quality marine laquer varnish - several coats with a day dry time in between

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan,

Are the stock Silver horn buttons metal or painted plastic?
I removed the horn buttons from my wheel and painted them with
matt silver/chrome spray paint and then finished with a matte clear coat.
Great results.

John M

Attachments

• 3.0dash.jpg
    3.0dash.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 97

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The buttons on my wood wheel are black. I thought only the imitation leather bus wheel which I also have had the silver horn buttons. Were there variations?

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Those are the known variations I think:

Pre 73:
2800/2800 CS wood wheel with black spokes and buttons
or optional leather steering wheel with black metal spokes (like 2002ti)
3.0CS/CSi same as No. 1 and 2
3.0S/Si same as above but optional leather steering wheel with black spokes and silver buttons

From 72 and on there was the option of the 400mm plastic or the real deal 380mm leather Petri steering wheel, the latter being standard eqipment to the CSL

In autumn 73 the four-spoke-wheel came as standard to all models with a leather option except the CSL with the Petri being available as an option.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: