BaT - 34 Years Owned 1973 BMW 3.0 CS 5-Speed

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_1942-2.jpg

yuck!

Will require fender, or partial fender removal to get that crap out. Wonder what else is lurking.

I say...$25k it will go to. And not meet its reserve.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Longtime ownership by Ron Wakefield, and the article in road and track based on this car will help it, I think. I'd guess it will surpass 25K, fairly easily. But, I've been wrong many times before!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The article was on an earlier coupe he is second owner of this one. I met him a few years ago at La Jolla Concours, I went down there with Murray, his coupe was nice then.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Attached is a photo to quantify the scale of the rust bubble. Seller indicates it has been there for years and has not expanded. I know it could be the tip of the iceberg but if the rest of the car checks out, is this a big concern?

IMG_1946-1.jpg

Also, on the bottom left of the following photo you see some minor surface rust on the ring of the shock tower. Again, any major concern here? Seems like the bottom line is to expect more rust in areas you cannot see.

IMG_1918-3.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not a big concern in my opinion, fix is cut out and patch with new metal, mine had issues there too ten years ago.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It must be the supermoon, the forum is responding favorably to a car with minor rust. No doomsday scenarios!!! :D

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
one way i value these cars are a simple thing but
its the inside lower door jamb chrome runner as it usually
takes a good beating.
a verry nice automobile

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, 34 years with one owner whose reputation would be at stake if he misrepresented it counts for something. I don't think the price is out of line and I have seen it in person although that was five years ago. I think the new owner will be happy.

Edit: I have a database of sales prices over the last two years with 54 vehicles. There are 19 Haggerty Condition 3 coupes averaging $40,000 but if I cherry pick the best 7 the average is $58,000. And I have also seen a few of these in person.

Last edited:

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris - not sure if you have this one in your records:

http://cprclassic.com/BMW/2140/

Apparently sold for $90k+ recently.

Ron Wakefield's car certainly gained in value due to the 34 year ownership and the fact that it was maintained by Carl Nelson. I was a bit surprised that it went into the 50's given the color change, non-working A/C, minor rust and leaky engine. Also, the color combo of Baikal on Blue is not the most desirable IMHO.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you sure it sold? I inspected it for a potential buyer in Sep and advised he walk away at that price. Mileage is represented as 32K and when I told the dealer the odometer wasn't working he sounded very surprised! It is not as 32K mile coupe although it is nice, perhaps $55-60K.

On Ron's coupe the color change was done very well, it doesn't degrade value as much as on other cars.