Bad news for Wheeler Dealers...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A great British show falls under the axe of the US corporate accounting system.

Published on Mar 21, 2017
I am very sorry to say, that after 13 years on the show, I am leaving Wheeler Dealers.

Wheeler Dealers is a great car show, reportedly the biggest on the planet at the moment. It is broadcast in about 220 territories around the globe and apparently has several hundred million viewers worldwide. This success would not have been possible without the huge collaborative effort put in by the production team over the years but most of all because of the loyalty and appreciation of our fans who have kept watching, in ever increasing numbers around the globe. Because you kept watching it; we kept making it. So thank you all for that.

Making Wheeler Dealers is no easy task and every episode requires a massive effort from a dedicated team of people. We started, all those years ago, on a niche channel in the UK with just a small production: Michael Wood and Dan Allum; the founders of Attaboy TV and originators of the show, one production manager, a camera man, a sound man and Mike and myself. One hundred and thirty five cars later we have grown to a production team of over forty five staff, and we are now entertaining much of the TV watching planet. It’s been quite a ride.

It was exactly the worldwide popularity of Wheeler Dealers and sheer size of the audience, coupled with the lack of product placement and brand endorsements within the show which meant that Discovery US and Velocity Channel saw an opportunity for further exploitation of the brand and so, after season twelve, the show commission was taken over by Velocity Channel in the US, who decided to replace Attaboy TV with Discovery Studios in California.

Unfortunately, on Velocity’s first attempt at producing the show they found Wheeler Dealers ‘too difficult to make’, ‘at least in its current format’. In particular, the detailed and in depth coverage of my fixes in the workshop; what I consider to be the backbone and USP of the programme, are something Velocity feel should be reduced. The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make and reducing their substance and role in the show will save the production considerable time, effort and therefore money. However, this new direction is not something I am comfortable with as I feel the corners I was being asked to cut compromised the quality of my work and would erode my integrity as well as that of the show, so I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to let Velocity get on with it, without me.

Wheeler Dealers has been an enormous part of my life since 2002, a real roller coaster of demanding challenges and triumphant moments. It has been a privilege to meet and work with so many great people and, from the workshop to the joy rides, to be allowed to experience so many fabulous cars and amazing locations. Leaving the show at the height of its success has been a really tough decision to make but I believe the time is right for me to spread my wings. Sometimes you’ve just got to break free from the confines of your rut and head for the far horizon.

I would like to thank Attaboy TV, Mike, our incredible crew, and everyone who has contributed to making such a great programme for all of these years. A special thank you must go to every one of our fans for watching these past thirteen series, it has been great having you along for the ride, your appreciation means so much.
Mike and Velocity will continue to make Wheeler Dealers, apparently with Ant Anstead taking my place in the workshop, so new episodes will be on your screens in due course. Being the new boy is never easy, so please give Ant your support, I wish him the very best of luck. It will certainly be nice to see Mike turn up at the workshop with yet another wreck knowing I don’t have to do any of the work!

As for me, I am already working on some great new projects which will expand my world in new directions and, as I will have a bit of time on my hands, I’ll even start to put some things up on my youTube channel, so keep an eye out for that. Right now though, I just feel relieved and exhilarated with freedom and I can’t wait to get cracking on the exciting opportunities that lie ahead.

For years Discovery have been encouraging everyone to: ‘make your world bigger’ – and that is exactly what I am now doing.
Edd China

Thank you for

subsribing to my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTnK...

following me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/eddchina/?fr...

and following me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/TheEddChina

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well another classic car thing bites the dust. but shows like south beach or unique (will castro) still make it. i often found some good information on wheeler dealers

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good for Edd, he's not willing to turn the show into another Kounting Kars or those other crappy shows with fake deadlines and drama. It's amazing that a company buys a show because it's popular then changes the things that made it so. Sounds like the new one will really blow.

Sorry to see him go, that and CCC are the only two i watched. Now down to one.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was definitely the best auto related show on TV. While I missed some of the quaintness of the British version, there is no doubt the the production value went up when they moved to the US.

To me the only other show worth watching is Bitchin Rides. Yes, there is a lot of goofy stuff but it's not as awful as on the other ones. And it mostly feels like it's the people themselves who are naturally like that rather than some junior TV producer saying "I have a great idea or a gag. Do this..." Well, for the most part at least. And there are some really talented people working in that shop.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sad to see Ed go. I sure hope the new episodes aren't shite, and the cars they turn out aren't crap as well.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good for Edd, he's not willing to turn the show into another Kounting Kars or those other crappy shows with fake deadlines and drama. It's amazing that a company buys a show because it's popular then changes the things that made it so. Sounds like the new one will really blow.

Sorry to see him go, that and CCC are the only two i watched. Now down to one.
My sentiments exactly. Perhaps he'll hit it out of the park with something on his own. Good luck to him.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. Perhaps he'll hit it out of the park with something on his own. Good luck to him.

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but part for what made the show entertaining was the interaction between Edd and Mike. Anything Edd does will certainly be of high quality and greatly informative. But usually when a band breaks up and some of the members go solo, it rarely reaches anywhere near the level of interest of the initial formula.

But I will keep my fingers crossed that this works the other way.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheeler Dealers was one of a very short list of car shows that actually showed work being done and the only ones that keep my interest. A close friend was with the crew when they filmed that '67 Camaro episode in CA and there is definitely some liberties taken to add drama and better filming locations, but the work being done on the cars always seems real. I joke with my wife telling her that Edd puts cars back together like most of us... doesn't clean every piece with a toothbrush, does some shade tree stuff sometimes, and that's why I like him. Bitchin Rides is getting a little dramatic for my taste now and if Foose and his guys didn't have all the made up crap in the show it would probably be the best as far as actually work being shown.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if Foose and his guys didn't have all the made up crap in the show it would probably be the best as far as actually work being shown.

I definitely like Foose's ideas and work ethic. But the moronic tone of the whole production makes it unwatchable unless you turn the sound off.
I also think it is pretty insulting to women that the only ones involved are there as talking props.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have to say, WD was the best, you could actually learn something from that show. i watch some of the others, CCC sometimes, bitchin rides even less (but there has been a coupe in the background on some shows), overhaulin a few times, whats my car worth + restoration garage if i'm desperate

the never list - west coast custom, unique, graveyard cars, south beach classic and a bunch of others

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately I came across South Beach Classic the other day, looks like his wife is off the show and the plot lines are even more absurd than before. WMCW is good as I like Keith but I can't take the other guy. The all time worst one was The American Car Prospector and his "buying consortium" he was searching on behalf of and sold junk to for riduculous prices.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo, they have a woman who is a wrench too, blonde, and gets a speaking role, or used to.

Yes, I think that was Jessie Combs (sp?). She actually seems to know what she is doing and it was great to see that. Unfortunately I think she was only on a few episodes.
She is often on that All Girls Garage show which would have the potential to be a real inspiration for young women. But sadly the producers have turned it into barely more than a long infomercial which makes it lose all credibility in my eyes.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently "cut the cord" and got rid of cable tv, but I haven't signed up for internet tv or gotten an antenna yet. Soooooo, I watch "how to's" on youtube all the time. Its amazing how many good videos there are out there on all kinds of stuff. Paint, body work, wheel repair, welding, etc. etc... Then I get inspired and go out in the garage and work on my cars! :)

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Sometimes Edd says and does things that cause me to talk to my TV. He's not well versed on the physics of cooling systems, evidenced by his belief that coolant can go through the radiator too quickly and needs some time to stay in there and cool. I am watching an episode about a 2nd gen. Camaro and his explanation of the stall speed of a torque converter was a little off. As I'm watching him install the new V8 motor in the car, I notice that he has an engine lift plate bolted to the carb flange, yet he has lift chains attached to bolts on the engine. Just use the plate, Ed.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes Edd says and does things that cause me to talk to my TV. He's not well versed on the physics of cooling systems, evidenced by his belief that coolant can go through the radiator too quickly and needs some time to stay in there and cool.

Not to hijack a thread, but, I guess I will.... It seems logical that there would be an optimum flow through a cooling source to be most efficient, but in the case of a closed system, if the flow is more than optimum for cooling it also means that the flow through the heat source is more and therefore doesn't heat up as much? Do tell!

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Not to hijack a thread, but, I guess I will.... It seems logical that there would be an optimum flow through a cooling source to be most efficient, but in the case of a closed system, if the flow is more than optimum for cooling it also means that the flow through the heat source is more and therefore doesn't heat up as much? Do tell!

The first thing to remember is that a radiator is a heat exchanger, not a water cooler. It is most efficient when it is as uniformly hot as possible, which is induced by a high rate of flow. There is a reason that the thermostat closes when the engine is cool, and opens when it gets hot. Another effect of high flow is increased turbulence, a major factor in the efficiency of a radiator. Here are a couple of links to articles explaining the physics of cooling:

https://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Engine Cooling.html

http://www.overclockers.com/watercooling-physics-laminar-and-turbulent-flow/

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was flipping thru channels tonight + crossed velocity and bitchin rides was on - a repeat of the 21 window VW bus ... and made me curious, Chris whatever happened to your VW bus build?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Always liked watching the show but found it not that realistic. Buying classic cars for no money at all and restoring them for £2500. Anybody with the slightest bit of experience in this hobby knows that this simply isn't possible. Ok Edd always works for free but even than the budgets they used won't get you anywhere when restoring a classic car.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
don't forget, they are getting paid from the network ... they usually list the hours that Edd spends at the end, but there is no attributed cost for that ... and i always thought the hours were on the light side.