back windows

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing - talking about this photo by member inovermyhead. Windows would hit the wheel well top if they're down that far on my car.

img_2186-jpg.25058

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i worry more about the strain on the motor ... the further down the window goes, the more the motor struggles to get it back up ... and the spring tends to bind a little when that far down. i played with it with the window on a bench while cleaning + greasing. there is a lot you can do with the adjustment of the window - with the stops ... its just such a PITA to get it right at the top as well as at the bottom.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
also his front windows are completely down also?
i did mine but it a monster job
wonder how he did it also.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW spec, as I recall, is 6cm of window showing at the rear, can adjust the rears to disappear by adjusting the down stop. With the front, the rear edge of the window top trim should stop at the door trim and not disappear.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
I always assumed that the windows were supposed to go right down, during the strip out I took all four units apart after marking everything, after cleaning and re greasing following DQ thread put them all back together this is what they do.
All snug at the top and fully recessed at the bottom. I also gave the motors themselves a bit more juice by splicing in to the windows wiring loom a gadget that allows a voltage increase so now the motors run at 19volts. They now drop and lift in about 5 secs instead of the previous glacial movement. See my thread on faster windows for more details.

Cheers. John

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
theres no way they go all the way down on the 74
as the bottom bracket hits the bottom of the door before it can below the top of the door
i had to really modify the whole assembly to get mine down
as i posted in my 4310316 begins thread
also i set the back stops all the way in and they still dont drop below the frame
post pics of yours if you wish

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Mine is a 71 build for what it's worth, but I seem to remember that pre Resto the windows still went all the way down and after pulling them out all I had to do was a good clean and re lube. I was more concerned on getting the rears back in the same spot in the body. The fronts don't completely disappear into the door 2-3 mm stick up above the chrome door trims and I tried to dial that out unsuccessfully, I then lost it at the top. The tops and the way it fits is adjustable when the doors are re hung. The rear window is completely within the cavity, the highest bit of the glass is again approximately 2/3mm lower that the trim. Happy to post some photos if it will help.

Cheers. John

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just had my rear electric wonder fixed. Rear window regulator lifter part replaced and new motor installed. Quite an expensive job for a window when parts, shipping from USA to Aus and labour all factored in, but it runs really smoothly and faster now, although when fully open still sits slightly up above the window line as per the factory setting for rear windows apparently.

However unfortunately they managed to scratch my glass window quite a bit during the repair. Anyone have any tips or products that polish scratches off a car window?