Amelia 2024

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sad I have to miss it this year. Family wedding in Chicago. RM and Hagerty are in a feud, so RM is planning a concours in Miami the same weekend. I think even more of a "lifestyle" event, see and be seen, etc. Ugh. I like Amelia. Beautiful setting and the attendees are mostly hardcore car geeks like myself.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@craterface so similar 'lifestyle' of The Quail during Monterey Car Week? Going once was enough for us.
The Amelia, Pebble Beach & Hilton Head are where our interests & sensibilities are & always great to see you at all of these.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hagarty has not improved this event since they bought it, one could argue not for the better.

The Greenwich Concours at Roger Sherwin-Baldwin Park was a stellar East Coast Concours from 1994-2002. Malcolm Pray with Bruce & Genia Wennerstrom founded the event. It was 3 days with a Friday Tour & Dinner. Saturday were the U.S. cars from 1900 to 1960. Sunday were the European cars from 1898-1965. After Malcolm, Bruce & Genia passed away Amy Wennerstrom became the director. In 2015 we took the KisselKar & 2016 we took Vern & 2017 my uncle Tony 'Tat' Adams took his 1932 Franklin Convertible Coupe.

When Hagerty took over, I had hopes it would improve over what had devolved into essentially the Norwalk Jaycees, Lions Club to benefit the Norwalk Fire Department at the Calf Pasture Car Show we used to attend.

In 2021 the show was postponed until October. My Brother's wife Laura had her father's 1981 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II recommissioned after sitting since 2008 when her father passed. Duane Starman of Flying Spares, who had built the car while employed by Rolls Royce. It was shipped over in September & she & my brother picked it up in Hillsdale NJ. They drove to Manhattan down Madison & up Park through Central Park to the Henry Hudson-Hutch-Merritt to a Norwalk hotel for the Saturday part of the Hagerty Greenwich Concours.

They were aghast to see the park filled with Concours d'Lemons & RADwood cars! They left utterly disgusted & declared it an enormous waste of time. So we need not return.

This makes me worry about the future of both the quality & integrity of the more prestigious concours events now owned & controlled by Hagerty Insurance.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I want to get to the Amelia, but I have a conflict this year. I'll be interested to hear about Hagerty's impact on the event.