72 coupe just stopped, no fuel?

runner

Reaction score
Driving last evening and my coupe just shut off, died out. Tried to start it and it turned over, but didn't start. Noticed fuel gauge was pegged on below empty. Later (this morning)ot some gas and put in it (2gal) and then tried. It started right up- but I noticed the fuel gauge never came up at all. Within 15-30 sec, it died out. Fuel pump??

First problem I've had with it.

John
72 CS

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, if this was mine, I would have a look at the fuel tank, its connections and the pickup. Have to know everything is operating correctly before attacking fuel pump. Just my 2 cents.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
was gauge working before? if was really empty 2 gallons isnt going to move the needle much. I agree, I'd pull the sender unit and have a look for debris, clogged screen, stuck sender, etc.

runner

Reaction score
Yep, gauge was working fine. It's actually shows pegged way below even reserve now-seeming too low .

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does the car stumble when you try to start or is no gas firing at all? Do you have an online fuel filter, perhaps up near the coolant overflow tank?

First check the ignition coil wire. If your spark failed it would need to be all of them for the car to completely die. It sounds like a fuel problem. I presume that you have a mechanical fuel pump. There is only one fuel line running into the pump, with one small hose clamp. You can run a short piece of new fuel line down to a small can of (fresh) gas, which will completely bypass any upstream fuel issues. IMO, that is easier than cracking open the tank. You may need to open the tank anyway if your sender is stuck.

If you really ran out of gas you may have sent crud or rust into your fuel lines. The small gas tank tip should clue you into a clog. If the car starts with the small tank, you will want to open up the tank and clean the pickup. Also swap out the fuel filter if you do indeed have one.

If the car doesn't start with the small tank, check for spark (youtube examples if needed). If you don't get spark, check the coil wire, coil, and distributor cap. If you do get spark and the car isn't starting with your small tank, your fuel pump could be dead.

BTW - It was only a few blocks but I drove mu car home from the seller's house using a fuel line running to a small gas tank on the passenger floor. :D

runner

Reaction score
No stumbling, but I now remember I did get a couple of concerning small stumbles couple weeks ago on the freeway. When away and never returned then., I'll proceed to check everything mentioned/suggested.
Thanks everyone -now to work.

tmason

Reaction score
Add some gas to the carbs and see if it fire's up. Just checking to make sure you have a fuel problem? I do this when my car sits for a month or 2,it fires right without cranking for a few minutes.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yup, starting fluid sprayed in the carbs. See if it'll start w/that.

If it does, disconnect the fuel line and see if it pumps gas through it in a can of some sort.

CookeD

Reaction score
What carbs are on it? Anti-dieseling valves can malfunction and cut off fuel, giving the impression that you have an ignition issue.

runner

Reaction score
Fixed! Both fuel filters were dirty black! Blew out fuel line, checked fuel pump via hose into clear H2O bottle- worked perfect and gas clear as daylight. Replaced with new fuel filters. Fired it up and it's running prefect. Thanks everyone and remember to look at your filters

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fixed! Both fuel filters were dirty black! Blew out fuel line, checked fuel pump via hose into clear H2O bottle- worked perfect and gas clear as daylight. Replaced with new fuel filters. Fired it up and it's running prefect. Thanks everyone and remember to look at your filters
Great to get report back. You were lucky this time, one of the simple fixes solved the problem, nice!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
good news, may want to check the condition of the tank and sender screen too if you got that much junk out of the filters?