Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you BMW for supporting our hobby! Perhaps if you manufactured sold these high demand simple molded plastic and cast aluminum parts we wouldn't waste our time trying to replicate them. First it is trademark infringement, I get that. Next it is copyright infringemen. Really it is just about big companies bullying 3D printing into taking down content.

All is well. The copyright laws don't apply to the digital drawings. We can draw a picture of an e9 or a digital picture of an AC grille.

email-rounded-top.jpg

Hi Markos,

I am sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately we have received a copyright infringement notice for your model E9 AC Console Grill - Pasenger.

It claims that you infringe the rights of BMW, who own the copyright to BMW.

Therefore we have no choice but to suspend your design from the site. Please do not attempt to re-upload the model unless and until you have successfully challenged this notice. Doing so may trigger our repeat infringer policy.

Our full content policy is here if you would like to know more:

http://www.shapeways.com/legal/content_policy.

If you believe that this takedown is incorrect, under our content policy you have the right to challenge this takedown. Please refer to the content policy for information about what needs to be included in your counter-notice.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Kind regards,

The Shapeways Team
[email protected]

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How does BMW find out about this stuff? Crazy! Perhaps if Shapeways never knew it was for a BMW it wouldn't have happened. Is BMW monitoring our site?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pretty scary that they are able to find that piece on their legal radar. All the money paying their forensic lawyer team could be put towards producing some parts to keep up with Porsche and Mercedes who actually support their heritage, not just lip service with some bogus Mobile Tradition displays at concours events.

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, now I can charge big brother for all the ..hit that was over priced and doesn't fit. Perfect

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
well all they have to do is look here for nla parts
pretty much a no brainer
especiallly this car
which is the most popular classic bmw for sure!
and the most available and cost effective.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Pretty scary that they are able to find that piece on their legal radar. All the money paying their forensic lawyer team could be put towards producing some parts to keep up with Porsche and Mercedes who actually support their heritage, not just lip service with some bogus Mobile Tradition displays at concours events.

+1 Steve. Someone at BMW clearly has too much time on their hands . This sort of pettiness damages their brand in my view ; fancy rattling the sabre to "protect" something you haven't produced in decades !. Simon .

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
On a happier note, perhaps you could immerse the handle in 180 degree water before fitting it?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just don't advertise it with "BMW" anywhere. Just say "CS" or "E9". That's generic enough and would bring up your parts via google searches (I hope).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just don't advertise it with "BMW" anywhere. Just say "CS" or "E9". That's generic enough and would bring up your parts via google searches (I hope).

I did that already to ditch the trademark infringement claim. You can say "AC Grille for a bmw e9", but I removed e9 and bmw references". As far as those other parts in your search, most (but not all) are original designs or parts for RC cars.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you only selling the driver's? I can't find the passenger's.

Yeah it was just the passenger side that BMW didn't like. :D

I just removed my other models. Shapeways removed the passenger side but not the driver for some reason. I received an email for each part.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I considered it before selling mine. It is a mostly geometric shape without a lot of curves. I think you could make one with sheets if ABS and a plastic welder.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have given photos with dimensioning to my fellow BMW enthusiast Engineer friend who works in Solid Works on a daily basis. I'm investigating either 3D printing, or assembly from cut flat sheets, which should be easy if I get some cut with a water jet via some CAD drawings.
Or I might just mold and cast the thing, it's really two parts glued together, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Please stand by......

Ian
Bottom-endIMG_4444.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They tend to warp over time unfortunately. Something to consider when you select which plastic to use.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
They tend to warp over time unfortunately. Something to consider when you select which plastic to use.

Maybe I'll put some ribbing on the outside to stiffen things up a bit. Rev 2.0 as it were.
I could use a materiel with carbon fiber chop added, that would work wonderfully, but the cost would be very high. Research is needed.

Ian