2800cs rear drum overhall

taylor2800

Reaction score
Of course my simple leaky/frozen wheel cylinder replacement has me overhauling the shoes and drum while I am in there. The eccentric stud adjusters have been the source of many an hour cursing and soaks in ATF/acetone baths. After nearly stripping the 17mm rear bolts, I found that the large cast iron pipe wrench on the studs finally loosened them up. I believe that replacement backer plates for drums are getting rare with working eccentric studs?

taylor2800

Reaction score
Well, one of the hand brake cables has seized in its sleeve. I have both on order, but have to be shipped from Germany. I'll just keep everything soaking in the ATF/acetone mix for easyier removal of the wheel cylinders and loosening of the eccentric studs.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll be going into my rear brakes in a little while as well. Since the car does drive and brake, I'm hoping that things aren't too bad under there, but I'll probably replace the hydraulics and shoes while I'm in there. I may have to replace the hand brake cables, but we'll see.

Ian

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you sure the cable is seized? When I pulled mine, I found I was trying to move the cable inside the clear plastic sleeve. I then went further out, past the sleeve and it moved. The sleeve is adhered to the cable.

If you were using the ebrake regularly, it is unlikely that the cable was seized.