2002 owners (or potential 2002 owners)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a note from Our vintage group here in Austin...

We're working our way toward the 250 signatures we need to form a 2002 Chapter of the BMW CCA, and we are over half way there! But…that was the easy half. We need more that a hundred additional CCA Member signatures to meet the requirement. SO---I'd like all of you to think of additional ways we might get more people to sign up, rejoin the club so that you can sign up, give membership gifts so that your friends can sign up, and spread the word!

Go to https://2002sforever.net/sign-the-petition/ and sign up now!

We are under-represented on the west coast---somebody get those guys motivated, please

If you've been procrastinating---stop that! Sign up today. Do it!

Many thanks for those of you out there who have been spreading the word and encouraging friends. We appreciate your efforts!

Happy Holidays---Terry

Terry Sayther
Vintage Bimmers
[email protected]
Terry Sayther Automotive
512-442-1361

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only experience I've had with BMW CCA groups has been with the Sacramento/Central Valley chapter, and that was years ago. As a "catch all" group I found it very boring. Sorry, but there's only so many "wine runs and lunch" you can do with late model BMW's. A vintage group sounds like it would be much better but, as you're finding out, it's hard to get enough interest. BI, Before Internet, it made all the sense in the world, but with today's social groups, C&C, Euro Sunday, it's so easy to get a bunch on like-minded enthusiasts together that the clubs are struggling.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, just talkin'...
Good luck with the quest!

Dan

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a Special Interest Group (SIG) like the e30 guys/gals have make more sense? A chapter requires board members and such. Other than Mid America and Terry’s Oct event I don’t see what this provides. We already have a great forum, the bmw2002faq, and the CCA is not in the business of funding local events.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a Special Interest Group (SIG) like the e30 guys/gals have make more sense? A chapter requires board members and such. Other than Mid America and Terry’s Oct event I don’t see what this provides. We already have a great forum, the bmw2002faq, and the CCA is not in the business of funding local events.
I suspect you are exactly right with this Chris. But I (naively) like to think that if the "big club" sees enough interest and activity in this segment, perhaps more attention would be paid to it. Wishful thinking... ;)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suspect you are exactly right with this Chris. But I (naively) like to think that if the "big club" sees enough interest and activity in this segment, perhaps more attention would be paid to it. Wishful thinking... ;)
Wishful is right I’m afraid

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What I see is the local BMWCCA meetups are completely dominated by late model cars and when we show up in a 2002 or an early car, they look at it like a calf at new gate... "you brought that? hope you can keep up.."

I pulled into the circle drive of the host hotel at O-Fest in Greenville this year with the 2000CS to drop Terry Sayther off; a CCA Board Member stuck his hand in the window to shake my hand, "It's beautiful!! ....what is it??"

When CCA board members don't recognize our heritage, I suppose we have to take things into our own hands.

Ed Z

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For those that are interested in such a ''chapter', I found something that appears to be unique with BMWCCA when I tried to become a member of the e31 chapter. In order to do that, I either had to pay an additional fee, nearly the cost of an annual fee for CCA, or resign my status with the local/regional BMWCCA chapter. Since I had little in common with, and had not participated in any of the local/regional events, I chose to just transfer my membership tot the e31 chapter.

In my 'never to be humble' opinion, that is kind of 'rinky dink' on the part of the BMWCCA. As a result of my feelings about their 'interest' in members, I will not be renewing my membership. They certainly will not miss me!! - ha.

Cheers,

Gary

PS: The primary thing I think I will miss about the lack of membership is reading Satch's article on the last page of Rondel every month. I have enjoyed his writings in several publications for several decades.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For those that are interested in such a ''chapter', I found something that appears to be unique with BMWCCA when I tried to become a member of the e31 chapter. In order to do that, I either had to pay an additional fee, nearly the cost of an annual fee for CCA, or resign my status with the local/regional BMWCCA chapter. Since I had little in common with, and had not participated in any of the local/regional events, I chose to just transfer my membership tot the e31 chapter.

In my 'never to be humble' opinion, that is kind of 'rinky dink' on the part of the BMWCCA. As a result of my feelings about their 'interest' in members, I will not be renewing my membership. They certainly will not miss me!! - ha.

Cheers,

Gary
I left the BMWCCA decades ago when even then, it was obvious they were not interested in my Classic. An occasional token article reflected their level of committment. Zero.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Reading the petition page I don't see a reason listed. Serious question from a non-CCA member... what's the purpose of the group?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The CCA will continue to exist as long as there are volunteers to help put on events. How many members of the CCA do that? Very, very few unfortunately. Want something for almost nothing, you will get the Roundel, which I enjoy. Put in a little extra effort and volunteer at O’fest, Legends or another local event and hang out with some amazing owners and their cars.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am at the position of renewing my 'cca membership. i first joined in 1980 and have a 25xxx membership number. the local chapter isn't that good unless you just want to do drivers schools. i like the Roundel, but not near as much as i used to. its not the money, but it is a lot for a pretty magazine, with only 25% of the content that i am interested in ... i've been giving some serious thought to switching to 'CCCA. i have been to several o'fests - primarily to look at the cars in the concours, but mostly to do the TSD rally. (two - 3rd place overall finishes). the local chapter won't even put on a rally, even if i do all of the work. i invited them to several local rallies that i was putting on with a local rally club - only a few people came out. there are some great 'CCA people, but most of the people i am interested in are on this board ... or drive another vintage BMW (up to the e24, e28 + e30 ... okay maybe e36 / e46 ... but that is pushing it). i haven't had an e30 m3, but i am still a SIG member and read the emails often.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The question regarding a 2002 'chapter' may be somewhat similar to a lack of interest in a Porsche model by Porsche Club of America (PCA) that was experienced in the late 1990's.

SO, about a dozen guys who owned and appreciated Porsche 928's of all vintages started a 'club' in 1998. It has become quite popular and has a worldwide membership of about 5-600 people. Since the 'P' name can not be used, it is just 'The 928 Owners Club'. There are about 6-8 regional gatherings of Porsche 928 owners/cars held each year - primarily in the US, but also in Canada and Germany. Attendance is usually around 35-75 cars/members (some have been over 100). This size 'meet' has resulted in lots of friendships and great technical communications/connections. Having been a member of 928 Owners Club for 20 years, I feel it is probably the most connected community of car owners in the USA and maybe world. The primary internet communication portal, the 928 Forum on Rennlist (very similar to e9coupe.com). It usually has 100-125 viewers at any one time, and 75-100 postings a day - nearly all have some technical content (they were fairly complicated cars for the '78-94 era).

There have also been 4 international meets held somewhere in the central part of the USA, each attended by ~75 members, including several from Europe and Australia.. Membership is $29.28 annually (no increase in 20 years), and the treasury is in excellent shape (I was treasurer for 12 years).

Interestingly after some of the PCA regions became aware of the success of the Club and meets, as well as the passion of the members, they started providing some funds toward regional '928 Owners Club meets' held in their region.

Just a thought, based on previous experience: who needs the International Club when the management of those clubs or the original manufacturing company does little or nothing to support classic cars.

Gary-

Last edited: