1973 BMW 3.0 CSi (Mexico/So Cal)

flobloc

Reaction score
NMNA. I have been emailing with the owner. The car is actually sitting in Mexicali (Mexico). He said he would bring it across the border to Calexico (California) to show any prospective buyers. The car originally came from the State of Washington and has been sitting in a Mexican warehouse since 2005. The owner does not have the pink slip. Can you transfer ownership in the State of California without a pink slip or any registration papers? I have no idea. Maybe some of you know the rules of the California DMV? There's no set asking price for the vehicle. The owner said "make me a good offer and you can buy my car." Seems a bit weird to me...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4525049452.html

m73

Reaction score
Are you sure that's a csi? I know the ad says so, but looks like carb's to me...

-M

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Sitting in a Mexican whorehouse" is how I first read that. For some reason.

NMNA. I have been emailing with the owner. The car is actually sitting in Mexicali (Mexico). He said he would bring it across the border to Calexico (California) to show any prospective buyers. The car originally came from the State of Washington and has been sitting in a Mexican warehouse since 2005. The owner does not have the pink slip. Can you transfer ownership in the State of California without a pink slip or any registration papers? I have no idea. Maybe some of you know the rules of the California DMV? There's no set asking price for the vehicle. The owner said "make me a good offer and you can buy my car." Seems a bit weird to me...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4525049452.html

jefftepper

Reaction score
Before getting too excited about it, find out what the story is behind the car's ownership chain. Essentially what does the current owner have to prove that he is the rightful owner? If the car was last titled in Washington, check with their DMV to see if the car is in the system. If so, in whose name is it titled? Then reconstruct the chain of ownership with bills of sale from the last owner of record through any intermediate owners to the guy claiming to be the current owner.

Next get the VIN and run it through local law enforcement to see if the car is stolen.

If you haven't run away by now, look into bonding around the title. The cost of the bond and the added hassle is something that should be factored into the price.

Good luck

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
If price is reasonable I would go for it. Even if there is an issue with registering the car it will be an amazing parts car. Only thing I would do is have a local law enforcement agency run the vin to make sure it's not stolen. Being it was registered in the US at some point I can't see why it can't be done again without much effort.

tmason

Reaction score
Fill it with kids in car seats and you can drive it across with no problems.

flobloc

Reaction score
I spoke to the owner yesterday. He said he is going to register the car in California and then sell it. Everyone who has contacted him is asking the same question - How do we know this car isn't stolen? Based on our conversation, I do believe this will be a legitimate sale...

flobloc

Reaction score
Just received an official Vehicle Registration Certificate from the State of Washington. Previous owner's incidentals are on this document. Dated 10/23/2003. VIN # 2240572. This car was registered on the CS Registry site on 4/30/14. Very recent. What's my next step? Contact DMV in Washington? Contact previous owner? Contact Police Department? Run like hell?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Authorities never ask him for registration, his beard is listed in his organ donor card, he is The World's Most Interesting Man...

Stay thirsty my friends...